What is a 'real' Cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

According to lots of these definitions I'm not a cyclist, but if I were to be knocked off my bike what would the local rag report? 'Local cyclist, 23, involved in collision...'

jimboalee

Davidc said:
I suppose if there are electric bikes there might as well be wind-up ones, but are their riders real cyclists?

That's exactly what was asked when Daimler put an engine in a Safety Bicycle.

jimboalee

taxing said:
According to lots of these definitions I'm not a cyclist, but if I were to be knocked off my bike what would the local rag report? 'Local cyclist, 23, involved in collision...'

Inexperienced journalist.

Philk

Davidc said:
This (regularly repeated) topic is one of the silliest on the forums!

As far as I'm concerned a real cyclist is someone who rides a bike (or trike)

Someone who has a bike, but it stays in the garage/ shed/ whatever for 364 days a year isn't. (On the 365th it may or may not come out and get ridden less than a mile, at which point its owner decides it's too much like hard work &/or too dangerous/ &/or they'd do more cycling if only they had a differrent bike)

Definitions of serious cyclists are just as futile.

LOL that was me up until i purchased a "Propper" road bike, now i cant keep off it:blush:

homercles

I would say a cyclist is someone who sits on a bike and moves their legs up and down in a cyclic manner. That means the posers who just loiter around on impossibly shiny bikes are excluded. Proper cyclists will be out in all weathers, and not just during those fleeting moments when the weather is perfect like tennis players who only come out during Wimbledon fortnight.

tyred

Legendary Member
homercles said:
I would say a cyclist is someone who sits on a bike and moves their legs up and down in a cyclic manner. That means the posers who just loiter around on impossibly shiny bikes are excluded. Proper cyclists will be out in all weathers, and not just during those fleeting moments when the weather is perfect like tennis players who only come out during Wimbledon fortnight.

I agree up to a point but I draw the line at ice. I don't fall as well as I did when I was about 10 or 12.:girl:

alci4

when you stop worrying about how much of a tool you look in helmet and wear it anyways

then your a cyclist my son

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
alci4 said:
when you stop worrying about how much of a tool you look in helmet and wear it anyways

then your a cyclist my son

don't wear one, negates that concern

DavieB

MIA
I went out in the rain on Tuesday and in the dark yesterday am I a real cyclist 0_o

And I wear lycra with pride, under my regular shorts ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
homercles said:
I would say a cyclist is someone who sits on a bike and moves their legs up and down in a cyclic manner.

- but those who ride electric bikes sometimes do that - they're not proper cyclists - just electric-moped riders.

karan733

Isnt a real cyclist someone who doesnt get offended when they get asked if they prefer it in the big ring or the little ring? ;)

rb58

Enigma
After falling off (or being knocked off) 'real' cyclists will check the bike for damage before they check their own bodies.....;)

Top Bottom