What is a 'real' Cyclist?

Chiefwiggum

New Member
Location
Walton on Thames
I commute once or twice a week (54km round trip), ride most sundays between 60 and 70 km with occasional 100km rides and nip to the shops on occasion. I have a road bike, a hybrid and a mountain bike. I have lycra and baggies. I am also 17.5 stone and 5'11, ex rugby and judo player so don't always feel like a real cyclist. What is a real cyclist?, is it the lycra clad road warrior, the year-round commuter, the families enjoying a ride on the tow path? Is a 'real' cyclist aware of the environment or health or is it just some thing they do without thinking?

To friends and coworkers I am a real cyclist, to other cyclist, who knows or indeed cares. To myself, I'll get away with it while I can!

Just thought I would gauge other peoples thoughts on what is a 'real' cyclist:bicycle:
 

Rip Van

Veteran
Location
Rothes
Chiefwiggum said:
I commute once or twice a week (54km round trip), ride most sundays between 60 and 70 km with occasional 100km rides and nip to the shops on occasion. I have a road bike, a hybrid and a mountain bike. I have lycra and baggies. I am also 17.5 stone and 5'11, ex rugby and judo player so don't always feel like a real cyclist. What is a real cyclist?, is it the lycra clad road warrior, the year-round commuter, the families enjoying a ride on the tow path? Is a 'real' cyclist aware of the environment or health or is it just some thing they do without thinking?

To friends and coworkers I am a real cyclist, to other cyclist, who knows or indeed cares. To myself, I'll get away with it while I can!

Just thought I would gauge other peoples thoughts on what is a 'real' cyclist:bicycle:
You're a real cyclist in my book.:thumbsup:
 

rh100

Well-Known Member
'Cyclist' describes anyone on two wheels (maybe three :thumbsup: ) I'm afraid that even includes chavs riding with no hands on the bars, despite what the bike snobs would have you believe. Same as all drivers are just drivers.

However, I suspect you are an 'enthusiastic' cyclist :smile:
 

Mark_Robson

Senior Member
Rip Van said:
You're a real cyclist in my book.:thumbsup:
+1
There are many types of cyclist, competitive, leisure, commuter, off roader or BMX rider and IMO they are all "real" cyclists. The different categories are simply different methods for people to enjoy cycling, so I guess that the only distinction is how seriously you take your chosen field or fields.

Oh hold on I've just had a thought, maybe the real cyclists are the people with no other means of transport.
 

ramses

Active Member
Location
Bournemouth
rh100 said:
'Cyclist' describes anyone on two wheels (maybe three :smile: ) I'm afraid that even includes chavs riding with no hands on the bars, despite what the bike snobs would have you believe. Same as all drivers are just drivers.

However, I suspect you are an 'enthusiastic' cyclist :sad:
Agree 100%, you're a cyclist. Don't listen to the snobby Cyclists. :thumbsup::smile:
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
Oh no, not again.

If you can't tell the difference between a 'cyclist' and 'someone riding a bicycle', you've still got a lot to learn.


Example clue 1.
'Someone riding a bicycle' has to walk the bike home if it punctures because they don't know what a PRK is.

Example clue 2.
'Someone riding a bicycle' doesn't bother checking and adjusting the tyre pressure before departing their journey.

Example clue 3.
'Someone riding a bicycle' has to ask if he's a cyclist.
 

redddraggon

Blondie
Location
North Wales
A proper cyclist is someone who takes cycling seriously, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go.

Generally if you post on a bike related forum you could consider yourself a proper cyclist.
 

Mark_Robson

Senior Member
jimboalee said:
Oh no, not again.

If you can't tell the difference between a 'cyclist' and 'someone riding a bicycle', you've still got a lot to learn.


Example clue 1.
'Someone riding a bicycle' has to walk the bike home if it punctures because they don't know what a PRK is.

Example clue 2.
'Someone riding a bicycle' doesn't bother checking and adjusting the tyre pressure before departing their journey.

Example clue 3.
'Someone riding a bicycle' has to ask if he's a cyclist.
Aren't they examples of an inexperienced cyclist?
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
Mark_Robson said:
Aren't they examples of an inexperienced cyclist?
Yeh, they're inexperienced people riding bicycles.

When the penny drops and they realise its a good idea to learn how to fix a flat on the roadside; and start their journey with correctly inflated tyres, they are beggining to become 'Cyclists'.
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
redddraggon said:
A proper cyclist is someone who takes cycling seriously, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go.

Generally if you post on a bike related forum you could consider yourself a proper cyclist.
Ha.

My son, who posted on this forum some months back, is FAR from being a 'Cyclist'.

Having said this, he rode that bike I gave him to the pub with his mates one sunny evening last week.
That was the second time he's taken the thing out of the street. No PRK and he didn't check the tyres.

Hey, he's a 'lousey good for nothing student riding a bicycle'
 

rh100

Well-Known Member
Type into Google define: cyclist

The first thing that comes up is 'a person who rides a bicycle'

jimboalee said:
Yeh, they're inexperienced people riding bicycles.

When the penny drops and they realise its a good idea to learn how to fix a flat on the roadside; and start their journey with correctly inflated tyres, they are beggining to become 'Cyclists'.
I think you are just describing different stages of cycling ability/interest really, at what stage would you think a person would become a cyclist, if the above is just beggining to become a cyclist, just curious as I can see the difference between good and bad cyclists in general, but they are still cyclists.

Also - is a motorist not a motorist if they can't change a wheel?
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
Why worry about labels, just enjoy it. I couldn't care less if people call me a cyclist, or a POB, or a Ped, or a biker, or a motorist, or a pickled gherkin.
 
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

New Member
Location
Walton on Thames
The post is not about whether I am a real cyclist, I cycle, who cares. It is more about the mindset of other cyclist and their perceptions. There appear to be many preconceived ideas about people depending on how and what they ride. There are many who ride bikes on a daily basis who, I'm sure would not consider themselves cyclist. Jimbolee's posts would indicate a certain attitude to those that do not meet his idea of what a cyclist should be and this is the sort of thing that I am questioning, not my own abilities.
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
rh100 said:
Type into Google define: cyclist

The first thing that comes up is 'a person who rides a bicycle'



I think you are just describing different stages of cycling ability/interest really, at what stage would you think a person would become a cyclist, if the above is just beggining to become a cyclist, just curious as I can see the difference between good and bad cyclists in general, but they are still cyclists.

Also - is a motorist not a motorist if they can't change a wheel?
Technically they shouldnt be, since isnt this a requirement at some stage in aqquiring your driving liscense?

Although many people still seem to be unable to do this somewhat simple task! I can change a car wheel and I havent driven a car in my life!
 
Top Bottom