What is it about riding a bike that feels so good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It lets me eat more food
It has allowed me to drink yellow beer with breakfast at 8am without a shred of guilt.

12boy

Guru
Riding is like a 7 layer Viennese torte:
You are in your environment, not separated by glass and steel. Nature is good.
You enjoy the pleasure of a well crafted machine in which all the parts work perfectly together, and if you tinker, a lot of that perfection is on you.
Your machine is so perfectly adjusted to your body and requirements that you are not aware its there, but rather feel it to be an extension of yourself.
Not only is the bike a perfect machine, but thanks to your riding, you are stronger, less blubberous, and the opposite sex is excited by your muscular, chiseled legs. Biking is kinder to joints and tendons than many other forms of exercise and so you do it more often.
Not only are you looking good, but your are healthier, as your cholesterol is lower, your heart and lungs are more capable and your sweat helps purge toxins from your system. I call this "bike medicine" and a daily dose is very good for you.
Your stress is much less, The PITAs we all encounter are less irritating when you can count on daily bliss.
The fun you are having and the endorphins flooding your system make you happier. Happy folks are more attractive than whiny mopers and so you get more love.
And the rich chocolatey icing on the torte...knowing that even in crap weather you can brave the elements and enjoy yourself increases your sense of accomplishment and maybe even pride.

It’s because you’re breathing harder. Oxygen is a natural high, add in the endorphins / dopamine / 5HT, and you’re ( quite literally) laughing. There’s also a smug satisfaction of riding past the motons, who are taking longer to do the journey in a vehicle, than you are on a bike.

Freewheeling ! :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It transports you into the now, you become alive, you aren't separate from the environment you become one. You are the wind blowing through the landscape. Your legs burn, lungs rasp, heart beats In unison as your mind empties of thought. You flow as a river down hill.

You are doing what millions of years of evolution was leading to. You're in a heady mix of flight and fight never wanting to let go. We were never meant to spend long periods without movement.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Even though I've still been exercising by walking, cycling felt so much more enjoyable - even over such a small distance that, in all honesty, was hardly any quicker by bike than walking by the time you factor in getting the bike out and locking it up.
Same here, I went from a 5 mile commute each way to a one mile.
As you say, by the time you factor in the locking of the bike, plus the time to change if you get wet it's quicker walking.
But when I take the bike, I know that I can ride anywhere after work, should I wish.
Freedom ^_^

Top Bottom