What is it about riding a bike that feels so good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
For various reasons (house move, lots and lots of rain, lingering cold, bike being in the cellar behind loads of unpacked boxes) I've not ridden a bike at all for about a fortnight, but this morning I rode to work - my new commute is only very slightly more than 1 mile (I have been walking instead of cycling don't worry!) and it just felt so good to be rolling again. Even though I've still been exercising by walking, cycling felt so much more enjoyable - even over such a small distance that, in all honesty, was hardly any quicker by bike than walking by the time you factor in getting the bike out and locking it up.

So what is it about cycling that feels so good? Is it the efficiency? The increased speed? Is it just that I like cycling? What do you think makes it enjoyable for you?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle

Twilkes

Guru
It's the closest I get to flying, I think - used to commute into Telford and there were four roundabouts in a row approaching from the west, slightly downhill, that I just used to whizz through, leaning around the curves, always the highlight of my ride. And I like that I can propel myself around town almost as fast as a car just using my legs, or up hills in a fraction of the time it would take to walk. After half an hour or so on open roads I get into a kind of zen state that I don't really feel with any other activity, achieved through physical activity rather than still meditation.

The derailleur gear system is one of the great inventions in history for me - enables cheap fast transport, accessible to most people around the globe, from covering long distances on the flat to getting across rough terrain.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Three reasons:

1) Curves. Curves are always better than straight lines and corners. The Jaguar E-type is a much better design than a BMW M1 or a TR7. Because a bike has 2 wheels, it is always moving in curves, and when you are on a twisty bit of road, as per @Twilkes Telford Roundabout commute, you really feel and appreciate the curves. Same feeling as carving your way down a ski slope, particularly if you get the edge in properly and carve a rail rather than sliding through the turn.

2) Moving without trying. Doesn't happen when you walk, and even driving, there is the drone of the engine to remind you of fuel being burnt. On a bike, when you are coasting, you are getting movement for free. Anything positive for free puts you in a good mood.

3) Endorphins.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Great question!

For me the pleasure comes from moving, observing, interacting and forgetting.

I love moving through towns and country looking at the world, the people I meet and getting out of myself. Its even better on a bike I have built myself and know every nut and bolt.

Endorphins are good too!

Drago

Legendary Member
It's the closest I get to flying, I think - used to commute into Telford and there were four roundabouts in a row approaching from the west, slightly downhill, that I just used to whizz through, leaning around the curves, always the highlight of my ride. And I like that I can propel myself around town almost as fast as a car just using my legs, or up hills in a fraction of the time it would take to walk. After half an hour or so on open roads I get into a kind of zen state that I don't really feel with any other activity, achieved through physical activity rather than still meditation.

The derailleur gear system is one of the great inventions in history for me - enables cheap fast transport, accessible to most people around the globe, from covering long distances on the flat to getting across rough terrain.
My Dad flies and has his own plane. He once asked me what I saw in cycling, and despite my oratorical prowess I floundered a bit trying to put it into words. In the end I said "I get the same kick you do when you release the brakes and start rolling down the runway." He nodded as if I'd said something profound, but I think he got it.

So what is it about cycling that feels so good? Is it the efficiency? The increased speed? Is it just that I like cycling? What do you think makes it enjoyable for you?

All of the above. It's that bit quicker than walking so is shrinks all but the longest distances: things seen in the distance are reachable. I can explore and find beautiful and exciting places for free, I can get where I need to go quickly and pass lots of stacked up cars usually, it keeps me relatively fit, or at least it would if I didn't use it as an excuse for eating more... What's not to like?

It's the post-ride cup of tea that always tastes so fantastic. ^_^

Truthfully, it's just about being outside, in the fresh air, getting some exercise (and getting things done in the case of utility rides) and just enjoying being out on my own with my thoughts. Cycling is, like art and writing, part of my "headspace". if I don't get that, I turn into a right mardy cow.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Humans love anything that gives the greatest reward for the least effort.

It's how James Dyson managed to foist his crappy vacuums on the market - by allowing people to see the dust they'd collected and feel good about it.

tom73

Guru
I'm not too sure but he seams to like it :smile:
IMG_3219.JPG

Top Bottom