What is it about riding a bike that feels so good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A bike is the most energy-efficient way of travelling, and at the about the right speed to divert for anything of interest.

That's so true, when you can hop off your bike and have a closer look at something interesting you spotted. When driving, especially on a fast road without many places to stop, it's a lot of hassle to divert off route. At the same time, you can cover a decent bit of ground on a bike if you need to, or you are passing through a dull or featureless area.

Amongst all the other things, endorphins etc, the freedom to stop on a whim to look at something interesting.

Nattering to folk you meet along the way - easier to do on a bike - you seem more approachable/less potentially threatening, more in tune with the pace of the pedestrian you might get nattering to you. If you wound down the window of a car and said more than a short sentence folks would probably think you weird/note your reg number/start wondering what/who you had in the boot.

Oh and the ability to go places you probably shouldn't be - relates to non threatening thing above. If anyone questions your prescence just act dumb and ride peacefully away. It's like being a kid again.

That's so true, when you can hop off your bike and have a closer look at something interesting you spotted. When driving, especially on a fast road without many places to stop, it's a lot of hassle to divert off route. At the same time, you can cover a decent bit of ground on a bike if you need to, or you are passing through a dull or featureless area.

In my case, it's spotting places where good foraging can be had from the hedgerows. ^_^ I've had a lovely haul of apples, filberts and walnuts this autumn, none of which I would have spotted while driving. The filberts are no great shakes - it was too dry, but the apples and walnuts are lush. :hungry:

A couple of years ago, I also picked up half a hundredweight of potatoes that had fallen off a trailer on a stretch of bumpy lane and rolled into the long grass in the verge.

DSK

For me, not seeing my fuel gauge go down.

For me its a just nice to get some exercise, go-hard or take it easy.

Mrs M

Guru
I'm not too sure but he seams to like it :smile:
View attachment 492901
So does she

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Swore and shouted all the way up a big hill after a bereavement - better than therapy.
I didn't swear or shout, but the ride still worked for me...

My dad died a number of years ago in early November. He had been ill for some time and the way he died left me feeling very depressed. (It had been a miserable 6 month process which was a strain for everyone.)

My sisters were looking after our mum, and the funeral wasn't for over a week, so they told me not to rush down, but to sort out some things here first.

I didn't feel much like cycling - my mind was in turmoil, but I needed to get out of the house for a while. I couldn't face much traffic so I decided to go for a mountain bike ride instead.

The first 30 minutes or so were a real struggle, but I eventually started to get into it. I climbed up to a clearing in some woods and stopped for a drink. The autumn leaves in the trees were beautiful shades of orange, red and brown, the sky was blue and it was pleasantly warm.

Suddenly, a movement caught my eye in the fields below to my right - deer! I had been walking and cycling in this area for over 20 years and people told me that there were deer in those woods, but I had never seen them. I thought they were just a local myth! I watched as they emerged from the bushes and looked around nervously. I was only about 50 metres from them but they hadn't spotted me. A minute or two passed, then I reached for my bottle and that was enough to spook the deer - they were gone, back into the woods for another 20 years maybe?

My dad was dead, I wasn't happy about it, but he'd told me that it was time and he was ready for it. The world was still beautiful, the rest of my family and friends were healthy, the deer were out and about, the sun was still shining, life goes on ...

I got back on my bike, and carried on riding, my mind at peace.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
For me it is the peace and quiet of gliding on the road and leaving your troubles behind. I don't/ can't do long distances ( max 40 to 50 miles)mostly 20 / 25 but simply moving silently , faster than walking and still moving even when you don't pedal.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
For me it is the peace and quiet of gliding on the road and leaving your troubles behind. I don't/ can't do long distances ( max 40 to 50 miles)mostly 20 / 25 but simply moving silently , faster than walking and still moving even when you don't pedal.

I like a gentle, easy 25 mile loop. I don’t need a £10,000 bike or to be dressed up like I’m ready to tackle a stage of the Tour de France. It’s nice to just enjoy the simple pleasure of cycling and usually the company of my son.

8-DB608-D9-F95-A-485-D-BAB0-0-E63-ED97266-D.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom