What is it about riding a bike that feels so good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
You enjoy the pleasure of a well crafted machine in which all the parts work perfectly together, and if you tinker, a lot of that perfection is on you.
Your machine is so perfectly adjusted to your body and requirements that you are not aware its there, but rather feel it to be an extension of yourself.

I think @12boy nailed it there for me.

Yes, I love the freedom/health/beautiful countryside side of things, but to have a perfectly fettled piece of machinery purring away underneath me, with flawless gear changes etc really gives me a buzz.

And you feel so nimble compared to the big hulking cars that squash themselves grumpily into never-ending lines.

I think there comes a point where cars just look impractically big for the gaps they're trying to fit through. A bicycle seems an appropriate size for a town.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think cycling is a bit counter culture. It's my way of giving a two finger salute to the established norm. It allows me to get round town quicker and cheaper than cars and allows me to park wherever I like.

As is often said, it runs on lbs not £.

Drzdave58

Über Member
For me it’s a feeling of freedom and any worries in life just vanish...it’s very satisfying to propel yourself along with your own power and to go as far as u like...I also get to see a city much better on a bike and meet a lot of interesting people along the way...I definitely get a high out of it..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For me, it’s still being able to pull a decent wheelie at the age of 54!
I'm 63 and haven't yet tried doing a wheelie*** but I will have a go one day before I get too old! (I will probably end up flat on my back, in which case I clearly didn't get round to it in time! :whistle: )

*** I have almost done accidental wheelies a few times on 25+% climbs when using very low gears - it is so easy to lift the front of the bike without even trying to!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A bike is the most energy-efficient way of travelling, and at the about the right speed to divert for anything of interest. I know I can set off and manage a couple of 100 miles in a day, or I can pootle and explore.

Top Bottom