What is the fastest speed you have cycled ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
52 mph on the A470 after the climb out of Blaenau in Snowdonia. Good surface wide straight bit of road with no side roads to worry about. The KOM on Strava hit 74mph on it. :eek:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1267710?filter=overall

Looks like that 74mph was a tracking blip, but he had extended stretches around 63mph which is mighty fast. Regarding a "safe" descending speed my thoughts are that it won't make much difference if I come off at 40, 50 or 60. It isn't going to be pretty. Funnily enough, doing 45 feels easy and relaxed. But get above 50 and everything seems to be flying past too quickly. Can't imagine what 63 feels like, my fastest is 56 which was "exhilarating"

U

User482

The descent from Dundry Hill to Chew Stoke is proving quite fruitful at the moment - I had 50 and 52mph on my last two rides. My scariest was hitting 50+ off Waddington Fell a few years back on my ancient steel Thorn - the frame felt like it was flexing and I struggled to hold any kind of line. Lord knows how the pros used to descend on bikes like that. My all time record is 56mph down Jubilee Tower near Lancaster - that was interesting.

In the days of Avocet 'computers' (more accurate than GPS...........)
Post 1994, as it was on my Dyna-Tech 755Ti
Deciding to go for it, down East Chevin, into Otley

61 'point something' MPH

As much as anything, I still remember the blurring vision, & streaming eyes
Let alone hoping that nothing came out of the car-parks
Braking like hell, upon getting to the bridge, over the bypass

Telling myself never to be so stupid again........................... which worked, until I next took the same route:laugh:

Kajjal

Guru
On road just over 50mph , not concentrating on a steep downhill. Front wheel started to unweight and carefully dropped speed once I noticed. Not a good idea.

Off road hit mid 40's mph on a fire road, again due to not paying attention. Had to let bike find its own way over where logging lorries had rutted the fire road and round a corner. Luckily I stayed on. I have never repeated the I am going to die feeling after this !

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
50 at last :hyper: But rather annoying as it was on the road bike and not the TT bike ! And there was roadworks on the down hill that stopped me doing well over 80 :unsure:

Cavalol

Guru
Just over 45 down Kelsall hill near Chester, and not far off the same approaching Broxton roundabout from Harthill, both on road bikes. Best (that I know about) on the mountain bike was circa 36mph on Fire Road in Delamere Forest.
Quite tempted to see what my 29er will do down Kelsall, but not sure if that's a good idea on a mountain bike.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Back in 2005 I hit 56 mph on the same bit of road down to Malaucene. What an adrenaline rush.
Yes, that bit of road has all the right ingredients:
  • steep
  • smooth
  • fairly straight
  • long enough to build up lots of speed

gaijintendo

Veteran
I don't really go by speed, but rather a differential between wind speed and speed; measured by the speed my hood that doesn't roll away brilliantly flaps.
It once was flapping so fast it whistled.

Siclo

Veteran
My scariest was hitting 50+ off Waddington Fell

Descending into Newton or Waddington? Into Waddington is fantastic. I recall dropping into Newton years ago and bunny hopping the cattle grid at about 40mph, I will never figure out how I made the corner, felt like I was in the air forever. An adrenaline is brown moment.

U

User482

Descending into Newton or Waddington? Into Waddington is fantastic. I recall dropping into Newton years ago and bunny hopping the cattle grid at about 40mph, I will never figure out how I made the corner, felt like I was in the air forever. An adrenaline is brown moment.
Into Newton - I've never ridden it the other way round. 84.5 kph according to my Garmin.

Top Bottom