What is the most you have ever spent on a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Bought a Pinarello for a 'bargain' £2,100 and had it upgraded with £500 wheels and a Chorus groupset after about a year. Still doesn't ride any faster. Went for a much less expensive Planet X a couple of months ago and despite not being such a head turner, it rides just the same.

Thomk

Guru
£1100 3rd hand.

tyred

Legendary Member
Spend? Spend? hmmm what is this new word, does not compute.

I suppose I gave the driver of the skip lorry a fiver to rescue my Viking.

postman

Legendary Member
Five years ago £999.99p.Harrogate Spesh Concept store.Fell in love with a Spesh Secteur Elite 105.Can't see me buying anymore bikes.

Currently;

Ridley Helium SL(ultegra/deda and zonda wheels) £2500

Ridley Icarus SLS (105deda and fza/cole wheels) £800

Planet X XLS (105/TRP spyre/deda and archetype/novayec + mavic/deore wheelsets) £1000.

All built up from framesets;the Planet X ended up being more expensive than I thought(and about the same as a complete new one at the time)but it does have two wheelsets and a bit better spec.

The Helium came in well under what a new one would be(nearly half the price) and has better wheels and the deda bits are better than stock.

DavieB

MIA
Got the price today! A lot less than the rrp of £3200, wait for it .......£1500
View attachment 97716

Only the xr1 so £3100. Ive paid deposit at that price but lbs reckons it could come down by a fair whack in the next few weeks (hopefully almost half price) I may end up with veloce version in celeste though, then the cash saved will upgrade the groupset. I'll post the end result when I pick it up....of course savings will turn into pedals a matching helmet and some bianchi kit lol.

Picked up a via nirone dama bianco for my daughter for 500 too down from 8. That's her dearest bike too![/QUOT

mustang1

Guru
£1099 for the Giant TCX 1 (now sold)
£1000 for the Specialized Secteur Comp
£700 for the Genesis Croix De Fer
£350 for my first bike Giant Roam 2 W (now sold)

Ironically my favourite is probably the Genesis and I sold the TCX within a year or so to fund the Genesis.

It amazes me that my husband views these as unnecessarily expensive but will not hesitate to drop eye watering amounts on cars, to sit in traffic, and make you unhealthy and fat. My bike keeps me healthy and fit and I don't need to pay for parking etc... I find that way of thinking really weird. Some gym memberships are £500 per year....
My first bike (after marriage) was £400. My wife thought it was the most expensive thing in the world. "You can a bike for 50 quid!" She would tell me. And she continued "even if you want to get a really awesome bike, I see them at £100." Referring to a dual suspension department store BSO. :smile:

Aaaah bless her.

And then she would comment about now much she likes "those new range rovers..." :eek:

Anyway, to answer you q: £1500. And I wouldn't spend that much on a bike again.

mustang1

Guru
Got the price today! A lot less than the rrp of £3200, wait for it .......£1500
Wow wicked deal!

Top Bottom