What is the most you have ever spent on a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
£450 for a Dawes 501 hybrid in June 2009
£699.99 for a Specialized Secteur Elite in January 2011
£650 for a Cinelli Experience Veloce in November 2013

I can't see myself spending much more than that sort of moolah. I won't get any faster or better. If I spent more, I would go into mourning over every scratch and ding. It wouldn't bring me any extra happiness.

BrynCP

Über Member
£740 for my Felt Z85 (105 version).

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
In Chronogical order (since I took up cycling again, post childhood)

Really heavy Raleigh MTB (£90)
Specialized Globe hybrid (£199)
Home built Ribble frame - Campag Xenon (£600ish)
PDM Team Replica road bike (£650)
Boardman SS/Fixed (£500)
Dawes Audax 2/hand (£170)
Giant Revel MTB (£380)
Verenti Millook (£900)
Cube Streamer (£870)
Cannondale SuperSix (£1200)

In the past;

£1,200 for a (used!!) Pace Research RC100, back in 1991

Not mine, but like this

Pace Research RC100. 3.jpg

£1,200 for a new Dyna-Tech 755Ti, in 1994, with some alterations to standard (Ritchey seat-pin & stem, 'Flite' saddle, Scott 'Drop-Inns', Campag Chorus chainset, Look PP196 pedals)

After a while in storage....

2007. Dyna-Tech 755Ti. 3.JPG

Recently, (relatively speaking) prices have dropped

CX bike (Pinnacle) £900(??) back in 2007
Ridley Orion (2010?) £1,600
Ribble 'winter' (the blue aluminium) circa £700 (Tiagra)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nothing new

Peugeot 8 speed double £ 200 ebay
Dawes converted to a fixed £ 25 ebay
Cooper Seebring fixed £ 60 cycle chat classifieds
MTB Free Freecycle

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
According to This is Money's inflation calculator it was the new Muddy Fox Courier comp I bought in '88, £849 now.

Closely followed by £800 for a Surly Pacer build last year (bargain, the LBS originally had it at £1400)

DavieB

MIA
image.jpg
[QUOTE 3819119, member: 259"]Come on now, don't be coy![/QUOTE]

Only the xr1 so £3100. Ive paid deposit at that price but lbs reckons it could come down by a fair whack in the next few weeks (hopefully almost half price) I may end up with veloce version in celeste though, then the cash saved will upgrade the groupset. I'll post the end result when I pick it up....of course savings will turn into pedals a matching helmet and some bianchi kit lol.

Picked up a via nirone dama bianco for my daughter for 500 too down from 8. That's her dearest bike too!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd like to spend thousands on a new bike but i couldn't justify it. So i look for bikes around the 1200 quid mark when they're reduced to about 7 or 8 hundred quid.
The most i've paid is £850 in 1999, so i suppose in today's money that's over a grand.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
In 2000 I bought a Cannondale Jekyll 2000 mountain bike for £2400, plus I upgraded the brakes plus pedals so in all £2600. That's the most I have spent on one bike so far.

I don't have it anymore.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The Viner. Was an absolute bargain- £785 and barely used on eBay (frame cost alone £1400 new), built up with Veloce and Khamsin wheels. Khamsins went after I borked the rear in a prang coming down from the Gospel Pass, rest of that build (except the seat post) went onto my Condor while the frame was in Italy getting repaired. Then I put well over £1000 of parts on it, to get it as I would have specced it as new. Future n+1s will be more expensive than that.

Top Bottom