What is your biggest regret in life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I have a few but them decisions lead to something either better or didn't make my life worse so I can hardly complain.
I guess the biggest is/was the last time I got to speak to my step father who made an effort to raise me but didn't have the tools on reflection to do the job he could of(we both realised this when we were older and cleared the air once) until I was old enough to sort myself out. Ie we had our ups and downs.
He was dying of the big C and knew it, I went round knowing it might be the last time I talk to him, I struggled to know what to say without making things awkward. Over the years he was the one I'd go to for advice and talk about the wider things in life....I miss being able to do that so much.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Being a needy arse when I was at university and imposing my needy arseness on my girlfriend at the time. She would have got a better degree without me. Thankfully she is happy with how her life has turned out and we are reconciled.
Not talking to my Dad enough as he started to loose his fight against dementia, the day I realized I would never have a coherent conversation with him was crushing, so much unsaid that would never be said.
From both of these I have learnt and grown.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not putting my pension pot in the same place as civil servants did, theirs performed way better than mine.

johnblack

Über Member
In 1989 a girl I worked with offered me a spare ticket for The Stone Roses gig at the Roadmender in Northampton, I was quite a shy 17 year old and declined, but like the Butterfly Effect would suggest that I wouldn't have what I have now should I have gone to that gig so je ne regrette rien.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
None whatsoever

Looking back, I did loads of things I shouldn't have, and didn't do loads of things I should have. But regretting these things is a waste of time.

Concentrate on getting tomorrow right.

That more or less covers it.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I didn't come from a wealthy family and spent all my summers at college working. I was paranoid about trying to avoid debt and was financially responsible for myself.

In retrospect, my biggest regret is that I didn't say "what the heck", took a credit card and some money and just set off on my bike to cycle the continent and just worked out the "details" later. Knowing what I know now, it's something I'd definitely have done (while I have more money now, I don't have the time as I have a family and the USA is miserly with holidays). It's the only big regret I have.

I agree that regretting things is a waste of time, but at the same time it's a human emotion, and sometimes you should just acknowledge your regrets (but of course then move on and preferably learn from them).

EDIT: ooh, ooh, ooh.... just remembered my other thing. My kids always remind me of this. Being an apathetic teenager and turning down a chance to see Queen with Freddie Mercury as I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to spend my hard earned money on. I thought "oh, I can catch him another time, he'll be around....". I must have recounted this story too many times to my kids who always roll their eyes and complain about it! :smile:

Last edited:

slowwww

Veteran
Met what has become a life long friend at my first day of work. We were both ambitious and as he had already been there a year I followed on from him as we both progressed rapidly through the ranks.

5 years later he left to join a merchant bank, and shortly after encouraged me to join them too. I decided that my career was going fine where I was.

He retired 15 years ago in his early 40s with millions in the bank. I'm still working 12 hour days. :cry:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Leaving school with a really posh accent. It attracted all sorts of creeps who were friendly to my face but ridiculed me behind my back. I've now got a noticeable Birmingham accent but I'm still paying the price for my original one nearly 40 years later.

Top Bottom