What kinds of potato in Holland's Meat and Potato Pies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On a similar note, I invariably find that with the wee jars of sardine & tomato paste ( great on toast - ! ), supermarket own brands have noticeably more sardine in them than the 'leading brand.' :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I buy a Hollands spud pie every now and then. I'd say their steak puddings ( with or without kidney) are Holland's best product. Their steak or steak and kidney pies taste 'sugary' to me. I don't eat that many pies, but if I go to nearby Clitheroe I'll buy a pork and apple or pork and Stilton pie from this place.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....erys-pie-wins-bronze-british-pie-awards-2023/

£1.80 for quality, or £1.60 for a Pound Bakery dodgy effort. 🧐

presta

Guru
Some of you may know that occasionally in my family we have a bit of a competition who can rip off / copy a product most accurately.
Have you considered publishing the recipes? You haven't discovered the recipe for this by any chance have you?
When we used to shop at Tesco, often found that their prepacked carrots tasted soapy, obviously because the washing process in the factory wasn't efficient enough and probably because they end product wasn't being quality checked. :dry:
I eat a lot of raw carrot, and noticed that some have a strong taste of what I took to be pesticide residue, but I recently discovered that it's the taste of terpenoids which occur naturally.
On a similar note, I invariably find that with the wee jars of sardine & tomato paste ( great on toast - ! ), supermarket own brands have noticeably more sardine in them than the 'leading brand.' :whistle:
People commonly sneer at own brands and budget ranges for being unhealthy, but on the products I've checked it's the premium brands that contain higher levels of salt, fat & sugar. That doesn't surprise me, it's the expensive products that have to justify their price with a taste that's been pimped up with additives.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TBH they probably buy in the spuds ready diced and sat in a protective water solution containing various preservatives that stops them from browning prior to cooking. I did briefly work in catering veg supplies in my youth and knew that one of the side effects of this pre-preperation was a slight toughening of the potatoes. It is probably this that you are struggling to reproduce so without the industrial processes and chemicals you will be doing well to get too close.

I don't know exactly what @Fab Foodie does for a living but I think he may well know far more about this than I do?

Not really my area of food expertise, but I'd also go with choice of potato as a major influencer.
From my limited Potato processing knowledge, I reckon they buy-in chilled prediced potatoes which would also impact the texture.
After peeling and dicing the cubes will be blanched in hot water, (possibly dried in a hot air tunnel) and then air-blast chilling before packing.
Then they get cooked at least once again at the piemakers, and then
Reheated before consumption.

Waxy potatoes will survive this process better than floury types.

@gbb I think is in potato processing.

stephec

Legendary Member
I buy a Hollands spud pie every now and then. I'd say their steak puddings ( with or without kidney) are Holland's best product. Their steak or steak and kidney pies taste 'sugary' to me. I don't eat that many pies, but if I go to nearby Clitheroe I'll buy a pork and apple or pork and Stilton pie from this place.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....erys-pie-wins-bronze-british-pie-awards-2023/

£1.80 for quality, or £1.60 for a Pound Bakery dodgy effort. 🧐

I was stocking up at Cowman's on Thursday, is that place nearby?

stephec

Legendary Member
Slightly OT, I've worked in Walter Holland's many times and you used to get a free pie in the canteen, I didn't know at the time that the pie was free so imagine my excitement when I went to the till and was charged £1.28 for pie chips and gravy, and a can of coke.

Sadly that's now long gone, as is the staff shop.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They aren't so good these days. To me they now taste of preservatives, but then all such mass produced things do, to my taste buds.:thumbsdown:
they've not been good since the 80s or early 90s, possibly when they became available nationally rather than just up north (?). My dad might have rivalled Vernon with his local pie knowledge and always sought the best. Holland's were never high up the list... until his brother began working there around 2000, then it was nothing but Hollands. It's amazing how family loyalty can trump a proper good pie. The moment Uncle G retired, dad reverted back to sourcing the best locally made pies again. :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TBH they probably buy in the spuds ready diced and sat in a protective water solution containing various preservatives that stops them from browning prior to cooking. I did briefly work in catering veg supplies in my youth and knew that one of the side effects of this pre-preperation was a slight toughening of the potatoes. It is probably this that you are struggling to reproduce so without the industrial processes and chemicals you will be doing well to get too close.

I don't know exactly what @Fab Foodie does for a living but I think he may well know far more about this than I do?

Not really my area of food expertise, but I'd also go with choice of potato as a major influencer.
From my limited Potato processing knowledge, I reckon they buy-in chilled prediced potatoes which would also impact the texture.
After peeling and dicing the cubes will be blanched in hot water, (possibly dried in a hot air tunnel) and then air-blast chilling before packing.
Then they get cooked at least once again at the piemakers, and then
Reheated before consumption.

Waxy potatoes will survive this process better than floury types.

@gbb I think is in potato processing.
I have been to Holland lots of times, never saw a meat & potato pie

I was on my way there tonight to check them out but the BA plane sprung a hydraulic leak....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was stocking up at Cowman's on Thursday, is that place nearby?

Taken this afternoon. You should be able to find it from these pics! I bought a pork pie and a butter pie for £3.75. I haven't had them yet, but I'll post my views on them when I have. :okay:

nc_ohc=_YgQxs_fOysAX9r0yCJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=vk43epNxXY8AX_Tu00x&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=Z99ZLCnfWN8AX_W7LhQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=iP4cD-FTePcAX9QhY7C&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=BZMKxDjIKgkAX9Ryuor&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=yV_Z1lDhdQsAX83zM9g&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=qHDGIGzpDrgAX-LIvq1&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=aVJlguA5SmIAX-MS_K0&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Attachments

• nc_ohc=_YgQxs_fOysAX9r0yCJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg
    nc_ohc=_YgQxs_fOysAX9r0yCJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2