What kinds of potato in Holland's Meat and Potato Pies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just had the butter pie, with some peas. Very nice and about a third more in size than a Holland's spud pie. Butter pies are just potato and buttery liquid. I've seen them being made in a small bakery/shop. To me they are better than spud pies, as the butter flavour gives them more taste and you don't have to put up with those gristly, little pieces of 'meat'!

Edit...and not a hint of chemical/preservative after taste...or sweetner/sugar!

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I've just had the butter pie, with some peas. Very nice and about a third more in size than a Holland's spud pie. Butter pies are just potato and buttery liquid. I've seen them being made in a small bakery/shop. To me they are better than spud pies, as the butter flavour gives them more taste and you don't have to put up with those gristly, little pieces of 'meat'!

Edit...and not a hint of chemical/preservative after taste...or sweetner/sugar!

What do they taste like decent or not? Compared to Morrison own for instance??

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What do they taste like decent or not? Compared to Morrison own for instance??

The local bakery ones are very nice. I haven't had a Morrisons pie for a year or so. They ( Morrisons) were ok and no chemical after taste, the last time I had one. I'd give the Clitheroe bakery pies 8 out of 10. Morrisons, probably 6, maybe even a 7 out of 10. 🤔

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Did anyone notice that a lot of honey being sold is substandard according to the EU. And today its meats turn to be investigated.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a pork pie and a butter pie for £3.75. I haven't had them yet, but I'll post my views on them when I have. :okay:
The pork pie was nice, but a but too salty for me, but I'm not a salt fan, so others might find them ok. I bought a cheese & onion one from the same bakery today. I'll be having it later, probably with some mushy peas. :hungry:

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
The pork pie was nice, but a but too salty for me, but I'm not a salt fan, so others might find them ok. I bought a cheese & onion one from the same bakery today. I'll be having it later, probably with some mushy peas. :hungry:

I bought a pork today, and a steak and ale that I've just had for my tea, it was top class.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was going to Cowman's so thought I'd have a look in the bakery as well. Quite a few pies left at half two, and the loaves looked lovely, shame I'd bought one last night and didn't need another.

I'm going to try one of their loaves, the next time I visit. Which will probably be this Friday or next Monday. :okay:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@stephec Have you ever had one of these? I bought that cheese & onion pie yesterday in Accrington. I had £2 cash (I don't like using a bank card for small transactions) on me so I thought I might get 2 pies for my money. I saw a very small what looked like a jellied meat pie in the cool display. I thought it'd be about 70p. On asking I was told they are £1. 45! :ohmy: We're talking 2 mouthfuls at the most here! I then asked how much the last warm pie (It was around 3 o clock, so they were shutting soon) they had in the shop was. I was told that the pie was a cheese & onion and it was £2.45!!:ohmy: Heck, that meant I had to pay for a pie with a bank card!! Anyway, the pie was very nice. The cheese was a bit too strong for me :heat: , but it was well packed and there wasn't a chemical/preservative taste I get with Holland's and such alike. I mentioned the price to someone later, who told me they make their own pies on the day of sale and don't use preservatives etc and that any pies left over in their shops are taken home by the staff, not put on display again till they are eventually sold.

1681392617043.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom