What kinds of potato in Holland's Meat and Potato Pies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Some of you may know that occasionally in my family we have a bit of a competition who can rip off / copy a product most accurately.

At the moment, prompted by the bulk purchase of some family sized Holland's Meat and Potato pies were trying to copy their Meat and Potato.

It's obviously quite a slack filling that I'm struggling to reproduce. It seems to be well cooked and stirred as the potato prices are well worn, like pebbles on a beach. The potato I've been using just isn't right, mine either turn completely to mush or stays to much in shape.

The true version seems quite a white potato and most I've tried are too yellow. It seems I want a spud that is floury yet sticks together yet breaks down yet is white

*I've asked Holland's and they just don't reply.

** The aim of the game isn't to produce the best pie, nor a better pie, it's the most similar pie.

Jameshow

Veteran
Is it fair asking a forum?!🤣🤣

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
TBH they probably buy in the spuds ready diced and sat in a protective water solution containing various preservatives that stops them from browning prior to cooking. I did briefly work in catering veg supplies in my youth and knew that one of the side effects of this pre-preperation was a slight toughening of the potatoes. It is probably this that you are struggling to reproduce so without the industrial processes and chemicals you will be doing well to get too close.

I don't know exactly what @Fab Foodie does for a living but I think he may well know far more about this than I do?

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im not surprised they haven't responded.

What potatoes have you been using?

I don't think you can go far wrong with a Maris Piper for your purpose. But it is a machined, factory produced pie with all sorts of things in it to get it just so...

Some of you may know that occasionally in my family we have a bit of a competition who can rip off / copy a product most accurately.

At the moment, prompted by the bulk purchase of some family sized Holland's Meat and Potato pies were trying to copy their Meat and Potato.

It's obviously quite a slack filling that I'm struggling to reproduce. It seems to be well cooked and stirred as the potato prices are well worn, like pebbles on a beach. The potato I've been using just isn't right, mine either turn completely to mush or stays to much in shape.

The true version seems quite a white potato and most I've tried are too yellow. It seems I want a spud that is floury yet sticks together yet breaks down yet is white

*I've asked Holland's and they just don't reply.

** The aim of the game isn't to produce the best pie, nor a better pie, it's the most similar pie.

Not sure on the spuds, just don't go over the 10% meat content, otherwise it might taste nice.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Tell you what, next time I pass the Factory I'll pop in and ask them. Or maybe @Accy cyclist could do the honours?

I pass by several times A month myself. In my way to see a potential participant of this competition.

Two types in the mix, Wilja & Esitma potatoes.

Are you saying, two possibles or the pie filling contains two types? Foolishly I hadn't thought of two types being used in the pie filling. Do you have some insider knowledge? Esitma is one of the types I've tried, largely because it's a type a buy!

Is it fair asking a forum?!🤣🤣

Absolutely... That's part of the game!

Im not surprised they haven't responded.

What potatoes have you been using?

I don't think you can go far wrong with a Maris Piper for your purpose. But it is a machined, factory produced pie with all sorts of things in it to get it just so...

Me neither, but if you don't ask you don't get.

I've tried Estima, Electra, Rooster, Desrie, Eddie's - don't actually recall having tried Maris Piper or Russets

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
@Tom B, It's two types in the mix, not two possible types.

Top Bottom