What made you join your cycling club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I've no idea why I joined cycling clubs ? It just made sense I suppose and love all aspects of cycling'

I got my first what I call a real bike back in 1982 when I was 13 year old. It was what we called a 'Trackie' bike. It was made up from some old frame with a fixed gear and knobbly tyres with bull horns and a old leather saddle. Most of the tip.

Ive always cycled and never drove a car and about 11 year back I decided to cycle to Wales overnight after upping my game. Not long after that I was hunting for a club that did long distance competition and joined Audax. The rest just kinda snowballed

Currently a member of different clubs for different discipline's

CCFR. ColinJ's Club :smile:
Audax
CTC
Manchester CTC
Manchester Whlrs
British Cycling
FNRttC (London) ?
VC167 (left them) :sad:
I think thats it ?
I left VC167 as they were based in Darlington. Great lads though I thought it best keep it local.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's not exactly state of the art, but not that bad. Or is that not the one you were thinking of?

Yeah that's it. Maybe I'm picky being a web development lecturer! Last time I went to it most of the content pages were empty, seems a little better now.

yello

There's not much choice round here but the main reason I joined a club was for the banter. I think if I had a choice the main factors for me would again be banter, convenience (I can be a lazy b#gger :blush:) and a suitable pace (not too slow and not too fast ;))

That's pretty much my situation, and I'd agree with the factors you list too.

In my case, banter in French was more important to me than pace. I'd a couple of choices of more race focused clubs (which isn't my thing anyway), and one of an CCT type club; slower pace, more socially orientated. As I wanted to learn French more than I wanted to ride quickly, the decision was pretty much made for me.

Blue

Legendary Member
One of my local clubs hosts a number of TTs during the summer so I joined thinking I had to be in the club to compete.

Im a member of two. My main club is Sunderland Clarion CC, I joined after going along as a guest on a couple of rides. It was the most convenient club for me but has turned out to be a good choice. Main reason for joining was simply to improve my cycling and for company on those longer rides.
Also a member of TWFRS CC, but members of this are spread throughout the county. But it has one advantage, if i enter a sportive under the club name they reimburse the fee!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I went along on a few rides with my local CTC, enjoyed them, so I joined up.
It does help that the midweek Ride to the Pub starts about a hundred yards from my house...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Fridays
Audax UK
No longer a Horsham Cycling member cos I forgot to renew, mind you I wasn't reminded to, and the Sunday morning rides clash with Horsham Joggers, or, previously, Rugby reffing duties.
ex-CTC (Charity debacle) too, though I haven't ridden with the local section for a long time as they spend as much time in the pub as they do riding!

Local MTB clubs in/near the 'Sham are too rad for me; big air and freeride on North Shore/man made singeltrack aren't my thing (trans. I'm too old and not fit enough to keep up anymore)

Occasionally ride with the Sussex Muddy Arses but am not a member.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The only club I am a member of is CTC (Ayrshire branch). Approaching the tender age of 50, their pace is more suited to mine! AFAIK there are no local clubs, probably because cycling is not a popular pastime in these parts due to being on the coast and boxed in by big hills/narrow trunk routes. You have to travel about 10 miles to reach good cycling routes.

Greenock is only 14 miles away and they have Inverclyde Velo. However, having been passed by them a few times while they have been out on runs, I can safely say that I am a long way off the pace!

I go out with CTC when I can, but it tends to be very rarely as I work anti-social shifts. Also their start times tend to be 10am on Sunday, and a fair distance from my location. So it involves taking the car (first train leaves here 0953 on a Sunday :angry:) which kind of defeats the purpose. Then there is the weather :rain:. Hoping to get out with them next Sunday for a lap of the Isle of Bute. Start point is only 6 miles away and there are some good pub stops on the island :thumbsup:.

Yeah that's it. Maybe I'm picky being a web development lecturer! Last time I went to it most of the content pages were empty, seems a little better now.

Join them and become their web guy. You will be an instant hit!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Join them and become their web guy. You will be an instant hit!

Hehe a good idea :smile: its finding the time tho! In the summer I'd have time actually, teacher hols and all.

Seriously though, I really do want to find a club, I'm not overly sure if I'm fast enough tho to keep up, but I might be when my new roadie comes next w/e.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I too was fed up with riding alone and as there were no local clubs I started my own, Worsley Velo Cycle Club. At the minute there are just 2 members - me and the wife. However, she's not speaking to me at the minute so I'm back to lone cycling. I've asked a few cyclists on my loop if they'd like to join and they've said no. Our kid wanted to join but he's only got a no name mountain bike that's too small and he happens to be my twin so I've rejected his application because we'll just look like a pair of twits !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I joined the Cheam and Morden CTC because I was returning to cycling after a long lay-off following a crash and thought I had better re-learn how to ride sensibly. And I reckon that I did very well out of it.

Starting a cycling club and running it has proved to be a laugh. We've got about 398 more members than BFF's offering, but I put that down to giving people what they want.........

Thompson

I joined the wearside family cycle group as I wanted to do the C2C and needed my miles building up. I joined a group of people who are now an official group becaused they asked me to and I joined hetton hawks as after catching the cycling bug big time I figured I may as well try for some races. :biggrin: Love every group even if I do get skitted for crashing all the time. :P

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
If there was a Graveyard club round me id join it , as i like to get out around 5.30 in the morning in the summer and get back around 9.30am ,fantastic riding the roads and lanes when they are all quite, just the sounds of the birds and farm animals as i pass the fields.
Day time at the weekends is for the family so Owl riding for me.

Top Bottom