What music at your funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'd like something really painful to listen to. Some really long experimental piece, with nails scraping on glass kinda sounds. Not sure what (maybe Thurston moore has done something like this). This is just a private joke in case a couple friends turn up. We had this thing about Wyatting ?the jukie in this pub see.. (before the term was coined, and before internet jukeboxes, it was possible by finding odd stuff on compilations etc.)

I'd f*ck any occasion up for the sake of a cheap in-joke.

Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Hold On - Sarah Mclachlan

On the other hand, I'd be quite chuffed if whoever arranges it selects something that reminds them of me/that I'd really like/that would make me larf.

tomb1960

As the curtain goes round, or the coffin is lowered down, I'd like 'Into the Mystic' by Van Morrison. I'd quite like my phone to ring from inside the coffin at a quiet part in the service too!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
tomb1960 said:
As the curtain goes round, or the coffin is lowered down, I'd like 'Into the Mystic' by Van Morrison. I'd quite like my phone to ring from inside the coffin at a quiet part in the service too!

excellent ideas!

Pete

I suppose I'm responsible for this thread, so I ought to add my bit.

A serious note. To me funerals are serious but positive occasions. They're there to help those who are still living come to accept the death of the departed. And music will be chosen, played for, and listened by, those who are still around. Hence it should chime with their sentiments, not so much yours, as the deceased.

Having said that, being of the classical persuasion, I'm sure those left behind when I'm gone will select themes that they know would have been in accord with my preferences. At my mother's funeral we had no definite 'requests' to go on, no-one could think of any especial favourite that she might have nominated. We went for Schubert's symphony no. 3 (slow movement) and part of Chopin's sonata for cello and piano. If I think similar might be chosen for me, I'll be content.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy said:
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Hold On - Sarah Mclachlan

On the other hand, I'd be quite chuffed if whoever arranges it selects something that reminds them of me/that I'd really like/that would make me larf.
If you go before me I'll pick some Beatles, Bjork and Blow Monkeys in the hope you come back from the dead to turn the stereo off and slap me.

Spem in Alium - Thomas Tallis, as it always made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, it's been the accompaniment to some of the most significant moments in my life and if I'm going to be a celestial angel I'd like to be able to sing it :sad:

Thank You for the Music - ABBA for the line, "I've been so lucky, I am the girl with golden hair" and because it's a celebration song.

And possibly A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum, for no real reason other than the fact everyone would go "what does this song mean" and the organ bit is tops.

Top Bottom