What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What do you think the next big step in bike technology will be?
So far we have had: ( in no particular order)
Lighter frames ( carbon)
Hidden cables
Gear changing with brake levers
Electronic gear change
Quick release for wheels
Rubber tyres and inner tubes.
Disc brakes
I just wonder what can be next or have we come as far as bike technology can go?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Automatic gears (Once Archie-tect gets his bleedin arse in gear and invents it!)
Puncture proof (yet light and grippy) tyres
Illuminated frames

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Inbuilt navigation and IP access.
Personalised paint jobs. Ordered/designed over the web and included on the delivered frame.
Electric/servo brakes (if that's not already part of the new electronic gear system).
Proximity systems both emmision (into cars sat navs) and reception as a beeper on the bike.
Bike computers governing consumable ordering and replacement. (checking brake depth and tyre wear)

in clothing terms, I suspect
Lightweight Armoured Jackets
Personal air bag systems (like the invisible helmet)

Davehateshills

Carbon disc's, just like in F1.

P2210223.jpg

Something to replace those inelegant and fussy threadless stems so common in today's marketplace.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to design a quill-type arrangement incorporating the stem in the steerer tube and allowing for simple, secure and infinitely small adjustments to be made in handlebar height without having to bollocks about with spacers and several allen bolts on different planes....

I know it sounds fantastical, but surely something like that must be possible.

:sad:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Data logging and connectivity such as power meter type pedals and the ability to charge batterys used for electronic systems on the bike, and upload data wirelessly.
Im being asked more about Di2 looms and batterys which power lights, mobile phones, video camera's and garmins on a more regular basis which suggests this is something desired by the market.

U

User6179

Saddles that fit human backsides and a seat post that doubles up as a pump so you dont need to carry a pump.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Saddles that fit human backsides and a seat post that doubles up as a pump so you dont need to carry a pump.

Both exist now :thumbsup:

Dahon have been selling seatpost pumps for many years as have other companies such as Biologic with the post pump product.
You do not need a Saddle to fit your backside, you need one that fits your sit bones. Specialized have available in their concept stores an 'arseometer' (no joke) which measures your sitbone placement and permits you to select the best saddle for you.

U

User6179

Both exist now :thumbsup:

Dahon have been selling seatpost pumps for many years as have other companies such as Biologic with the post pump product.
You do not need a Saddle to fit your backside, you need one that fits your sit bones. Specialized have available in their concept stores an 'arseometer' (no joke) which measures your sitbone placement and permits you to select the best saddle for you.

Was just about to e-mail dragons den about the seat post pump :smile: ah well, funnily enough specialized bg is my saddle of choice and only saddle I get on with , there must be somebody at specialized who really knows about arses!:eek: i dont know if theres an arseometer big enough for me:biggrin:

tadpole

A damped seat post that doubles as a generator/ internal battery/ storage device. Spoke-less tyre less, light weight wheels
Single sided swing arm for easy of wheel fitting, just like motorbikes, oh and lightweight strong, and of course cheap, reliable, and any colour. Electric ‘effort selected’ multi range gears. Noiseless maintenance free chains.

snorri

Legendary Member
Hueometer anyone?
This would provide a discreet visual signal to the rider in the vent of any clashes in colour schemes re the bicycle paint-job and clothing of the rider.

Davidc

Guru

There's already a saddle type that fits mine perfectly. I want an electric pump with built in batteries that'll fit on the bike, in the meantime have to make do with CO2 one.

Top Bottom