What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
An engine to power the drivetrain, a protective metal shell providing comfort and safety, and two extra wheels.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We've already got the flappy paddles, how about ABS and traction control? Oh, and a race button.

In other news, yesterday in Barking I cycled through an estate called ''The Clarksons.''

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It seems that a lot of ideas have been tried, often unsuccessfully. I thought some CVT style gearing (infinite gears) could really work well on a bike.

I wonder how hard/expensive ABS would be to add to bikes, Im trying to decide if it would make the handling amazing or just really prone to losing control on very low friction from habitually braking through corners etc.

D

Deleted member 20519

A damped seat post that doubles as a generator/ internal battery/ storage device. Spoke-less tyre less, light weight wheels
Single sided swing arm for easy of wheel fitting, just like motorbikes, oh and lightweight strong, and of course cheap, reliable, and any colour. Electric ‘effort selected’ multi range gears. Noiseless maintenance free chains.

That's given me an idea, if you're going cycling but can't carry spare spokes, tape them to the inside of your seat post? :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 20519

A bike where you can change the weight of it when you leave it somewhere. Change it from 8kg to 1000kg, no-one can nick it then!

zizou

Veteran
It isn't a new development but i would like to see frames developed with di2 integration for the battery rather than it being an afterthought with the battery zip tied to the frame. I think the Cervelo P5 is one of the few that has it hidden away in its own compartment (i realise it is possible to get aftermarket hidden batteries to stick in the seat post but then the weight is not in an ideal place). Also more bikes with a place for ant+ speed and cadence sensors in the chainstays similar to how Trek do it, clean up the lines

Something to replace those inelegant and fussy threadless stems so common in today's marketplace.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to design a quill-type arrangement incorporating the stem in the steerer tube and allowing for simple, secure and infinitely small adjustments to be made in handlebar height without having to bollocks about with spacers and several allen bolts on different planes....

I know it sounds fantastical, but surely something like that must be possible.

:sad:

Its not like a quill stem but Look do a stem that you adjust for height by changing the angle of the stem without needing spacers

Tyres where I can adjust air pressure on the fly. Switch from 15 psi to 60 psi just by turning a dial. Would be great for riding mixed terrain.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Sea-Otter-Pit-Walk-What-Have-We-Here.html

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Power supplied from pedalling. I know that we have Dynamos, but was thinking phone/laptop/Satnav ports.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wonder how hard/expensive ABS would be to add to bikes, Im trying to decide if it would make the handling amazing or just really prone to losing control on very low friction from habitually braking through corners etc.

When I mentioned it I found, even if it were feasible, it begged a lot of questions. None of which I really have the answer for. This of course would be a good reason for trying it out.

A bit of elctrickery that records the gear change controls used by other bikes with wireless gear shifters and then plays them back in a randon order on demand.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Both exist now :thumbsup:

Dahon have been selling seatpost pumps for many years as have other companies such as Biologic with the post pump product.

That is such a good idea...I'm really tempted by this...anyone use one?...I'm interested to know if its any better than a hand pump (not track) and if its massively heavy or rattly inside the tube.

Top Bottom