What non essentials are you running short on ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It hasn't helped yet,but soon i could run out of puncture repairers!:ohmy: I can't change a tube on a road tyre. Yes,i know some will scoff,but i just can't get it right! A big chunky mountain bike tyre yes,but not a thin 23 or 25mm road tyre.Even though bike shops are allowed to stay open,my LBS has shut,so if i get a visit(god forbid)from the puncture fairy i'll be in Dicky's meadow!The shop owner would put a new tube in for £7. 👍 I fear that if i puncture that could be the end of cycling on my favourite/best bike till after the C19 stuff. Though i do have two other bikes in reserve.
Now is the perfect time to practice Accy! Get on youtube, select your favourite clip from GCN, Park Tool or whoever, and enjoy an hour of peace perfecting your technique.
Skinny tyres aren't any more difficult, the key is just to get the tube to seat right so It doesn't pinch. Make sure it has just enough air in to give it a little structure and then when the tyre's fitted (but before inflation) just hold it between thumb and finger, and wobble the tyre sideways. Do that right around the wheel and it'll be seated.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Are you a woman?

Wow that's a question you never ask on a forum surely ?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I didn't have you down as a County Durham pitman.
I come from a mining town, closed in the 90's but a residual left over effect from that is a lot of imported sayings and words. We have Scottish lingo, Welsh and North east here. My maternal family are from county Durham as well although originally they moved down to Shropshire to work in a pit there before moving to my town...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I come from a mining town, closed in the 90's but a residual left over effect from that is a lot of imported sayings and words. We have Scottish lingo, Welsh and North east here. My maternal family are from county Durham as well although originally they moved down to Shropshire to work in a pit there before moving to my town...

I suppose we should tell the rest of the forum what we are on about.

As with all informal regional words, there are various theories as to the origin of 'marra'.

A former pitman told me miners had a regular buddy at the coal face.

For some reason, that person was known as the miner's 'marrow', and vice-versa.

The term then widely morphed into 'marra', and came to mean any friend - above or below ground.

A quick google suggest the word is of Geordie or West Cumbrian origin, although it's now widely used in Wearside and County Durham - even by some of the young 'uns.

The County Durham and Northumberland miners had their own lingo known as Pitmatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitmatic

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Please could you share some of that, @HMS_Dave? I'm a bit short and it would amuse me, me duck.
Well those here from the old mining days would talk to each other in a far different way than say neighbouring Cannock, even the accent is very different despite being just a few miles away. The town im from, Rugeley is known by those around as a bit different to them shall we say :laugh:.When Lea Hall Colliery opened, it was new and modern for the times attracting miners from all over the country, most productive mine in the country at one point. The Springfield estate was built for the Scottish and Welsh miners and the Pear Tree estate built for the Geordies as i was always told. Compounded by the statement from Brian Garner on mining.com

"Soon, miners from all over the country were swarming to the modern new mine. The Coal Board and the local council built housing estates and schools to cope with the exploding population. “Peartree estate was built for the Geordies, the Springfield estate was built for the Scots and the Welsh,” remembered Brian Garner, who helped to build the mine when he was 16."

A lot lost now. It closed in 1990 many miner families repatriated as jobs declined massively. When i hear the teens talk today its very different many don't even say Aye, or Marra, Pal, Aboot, Pap, Yer, Mam, Eh Up, Eh et etc etc even the way Rugeley is said. Rudgely was how many would say it but now its roogely, Kid, Safe, Innit etc I guess that comes from the internet united the younger ones...

I have just realised i wrote a mini essay on the damn place. My apologies! :rolleyes:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ thank you so much, @HMS_Dave. I didn't realise you were in Rugeley; I'm down the road in Lichfield. I've heard Rugeley pronouced "Ruggeley".

My maternal grandmother's family were miners. There's a family photo from a studio in Chase Terrace. At some point they moved [back] to Yorkshire where my grandma met my grandfather.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
^^^ thank you so much, @HMS_Dave. I didn't realise you were in Rugeley; I'm down the road in Lichfield. I've heard Rugeley pronouced "Ruggeley".

My maternal grandmother's family were miners. There's a family photo from a studio in Chase Terrace. At some point they moved [back] to Yorkshire where my grandma met my grandfather.
It is but a short journey. My missus is from Lichfield. Grew up on Curborough road...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm a bit low on Fiocchi shotgun carts. My ticket allows 70, but I've only 8 left. Let's just hope I don't get burgled 9 times before this crisis is over.

I have a couple of thousand of F3s and a couple of slabs of Eley Select Fibres hanging around. What kind of ticket limits your cartridges?

lane

Veteran
I remember "Marra" from When the Boat Comes in. Jack Ford and Matt Headley were Marras

lane

Veteran
In the East Midland s it is "mi duck" and can be used appropriately as a greeting for either Sex.

"Ey up mi duck"

alicat

Legendary Member
It is but a short journey. My missus is from Lichfield. Grew up on Curborough road...

I bimbled along Curborough Road today. I've taken to going out on my shopper bike seeing where the wind blows me. Mainly lots of loops around Netherstowe today. I was surprised to find a new (to me) area of open ground between Leyfields and Curborough Road. And the explorer was happy that on about three occasions I didn't know where I was. 😊

Top Bottom