What non essentials are you running short on ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD has loads of crap and junk all over the place. He says everything is essential. His words are " you never know when it will come in handy ". I KNOW. It will be never.

Apart from that we are not running out of anything.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
During the covid pandemic I have been using a tea pot rather than making it in the mug .

This enables me to have a second or third 🍵 just using one tea bag as long as I zap it in the microwave before serving .

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I suppose we should tell the rest of the forum what we are on about.

As with all informal regional words, there are various theories as to the origin of 'marra'.

A former pitman told me miners had a regular buddy at the coal face.

For some reason, that person was known as the miner's 'marrow', and vice-versa.

The term then widely morphed into 'marra', and came to mean any friend - above or below ground.

A quick google suggest the word is of Geordie or West Cumbrian origin, although it's now widely used in Wearside and County Durham - even by some of the young 'uns.

The County Durham and Northumberland miners had their own lingo known as Pitmatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitmatic
A book on the shelf by me, A glossary of the words and phrases of Furness. 1863, lists Marra as being a North Lancashire word.

classic33

Leg End Member
A book on the shelf by me, A glossary of the words and phrases of Furness. 1863, lists Marra as being a North Lancashire word.
"Marra, as a slang word for a mate, derives from a local pronunciation of marrow, which has been used to mean “companion” or “workmate” since the 1400s. No one really knows where the word comes from, but it’s possible that it might be related to an old Scandinavian word meaning “friendly” or “outgoing”."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/explained-15-well-known-geordie-11601646

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Dry roasted peanuts.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At the risk of being a geography pedant, it isn't really a N Lancashire word (I'm from there). It is common in what I'd call "West Cumbria"...Barrow in Furness, Egremont, Whitehaven round to Aspatria. Furness used to be an estranged part of Lancashire which is probably where this idea came from. There are lots of Norse dialect words in the Lake District so it probably came from there

Stuff I'm running out of (well, run out of)...baking parchment/greaseproof paper. Haven't seen any for weeks and I've used my last bit. If you hear of a fight in Tesco over the last roll of this, it's probably me

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
"Marra, as a slang word for a mate, derives from a local pronunciation of marrow, which has been used to mean “companion” or “workmate” since the 1400s. No one really knows where the word comes from, but it’s possible that it might be related to an old Scandinavian word meaning “friendly” or “outgoing”."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/explained-15-well-known-geordie-11601646
We use the word "clarty" regularly. It's perfect to describe something muddy or sticky that's going to be difficult to walk through

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use creme fraich in sauces and sometimes a spot in soup. The coop stuff is obviously sprinkled with gold dust judging by the price but locally there is no alternative so non left.

stephec

Legendary Member
Stuff I'm running out of (well, run out of)...baking parchment/greaseproof paper. Haven't seen any for weeks and I've used my last bit. If you hear of a fight in Tesco over the last roll of this, it's probably me

I found that in decent stock at Lidl, didn't even know they sold it but just noticed it when I was in there last week.

Top Bottom