What Oil for tektro hydraulic brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

was about to bleed the brakes on newly bought bike (new for me) - well actually just try to Burp them by removing the top cover first as don't want to order/wait for those kits.
Had a bottle of dot4 fluid..until I saw written on the brakes - Mineral oil...

What oil do you HAVE to use for these? the brake model is tektro hdc330 , I see they sell some Red shimano mineral oil online.
Can you use just car engine oil as well or I have a bottle of some wilko cycle oil which I believe is mineral oil as well
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-cycle-oil-100ml/p/0199457

Yes basically I want to be a cheapass and get the stuff done right now with what I have.
I suppose I should not try and top-up them with Dot4 stuff as it might fuk them up if they are not designed for that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use the right stuff. Do not mix mineral oil with Dot4/5.1 it will wreck the seals.

SRAM are Dot 4/5.1 and you can use the car stuff. Worth googling if there is a similar motorbike oil for the mineral oil - e.g. motorbike fork oil can be used in bicycle forks so long as it's the same viscosity, and you end up with a few year's supply, for the same as one little bottle of bicycle oil.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You will need mineral oil. This and brake which use Dot oil are made with different seal material which can suffer damage if you use the wrong sort. Mineral oil hydraulic brakes shouldn't really need attention unless you have lost fluid as it didn't absorb water like Dot oil. My Tektro Dracos from 2011 are still as firm as day one with no fluid attention.
As such I wouldn't know which particular mineral oil to use or if mixing them is wise.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Use the right stuff. Do not mix mineral oil with Dot4/5.1 it will wreck the seals.

SRAM are Dot 4/5.1 and you can use the car stuff. Worth googling if there is a similar motorbike oil for the mineral oil - e.g. motorbike fork oil can be used in bicycle forks so long as it's the same viscosity, and you end up with a few year's supply, for the same as one little bottle of bicycle oil.

Beaten to it by Fossy. Cross posting

Top Bottom