What old cycling technology etc would you like to see return?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
That Suntour had been rewarded for their fair business practices and brilliant products... and didn't go bust:

'In 1975, SunTour introduced the Cyclone derailleur, which was a lighter, polished version of the SunTour V. SunTour's policy was to add a markup to production cost to set a "fair" price. They did not charge what the traffic would bear. In 1975, a Cyclone cost $16.00, a Campagnolo Nuovo Record or a Huret Jubilee cost $40.00 and a Shimano Crane cost $20.00. The Nuovo Record and Crane both weighed about 200 grams and the Jubilee weighed 140 grams. The Cyclone weighed 175 grams and it shifted best.

The result of SunTour's pricing policy was that their top derailleurs were specified for medium-priced bicycles, while their competitor's top derailleurs were found on top-of-the-line bicycles. With 20-20 hindsight, SunTour should have charged more for their top lines and invested more on research and development. SunTour never had more than twenty people working on research and development and this was simply not enough to design and develop and test new products for the 1980s marketplace.'*

*Courtesy of Frank J. Berto - 'Sunset for Suntour'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For true downtube friction shifters, only the rachet type seem to be the longest lasting, Suntour power shifter or Simplex Retrofriction seem to be good, the other makes seem to wear and don't hold in place over 50+ years. :smile:

Indexed downtube shifters are modern, different and slightly more complex.

My Dura Ace DT indexed shifters are 30 years old.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’d like to see the utility roadster return to the mainstream in the UK.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Personally find them easier to use - I like the mini track-pump design - no chance of weak-armed cack-handed me tearing a valve. Just personal.
(I'd also worry about a frame mounted pump being nicked from a parked tourer - and a bit big to carry around - not a problem on a dayride bike of course)

You can get frame fit with a flexible hose. Old school style.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Lugged frames, avecReynolds531, Even better than my choice of head badges for a nice looking bike.

Attachments

• 82551782.jpg
    82551782.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom