What old cycling technology etc would you like to see return?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I run 9 speed xtr triple on my recumbent. Admittedly it isn’t available as new these days.
9 speed was an interim solution as the sprocket race got started. 8 speed was a universal standard for decades , worked at every groupset level and was available in every bike shop.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
None, new technology means improvement on the old.
Cough. Rapid rise. Cough. Elastomer suspension. Cough. Non floating rear suspension. Cough. 29'er MTB's. Cough. Indicators. Cough. ISIS. Cough.

None are necessarily a bad thing (other than indicators) but none represent an automatic improvement upon that which went before, and those that do bring an improvement in one area often bring serious shortcomings in others, such as external bearing BB's.

9 speed was an interim solution as the sorocket race got started.
An interim I'm stopping at - built up another 9 speed just a few weeks ago - nice new XT rear mech (admittedly discontinued) - don't think I'll have any problems keeping my 9 speeds running. 9 speed has one advantage over 8 for tourers - a nice 12-36 rear cassette at a reasonable price to make the 1x ers weep.

edited for typos.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think it will, as an e-bike.

Unnecessary complication. Keep it simple, keep it maintenance free

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’d like to see the utility roadster return to the mainstream in the UK.

So would I, preferably with a nice lightweight quality double butted steel frame and alloy rims. That way I wouldnt be forced to build my own from a 531 touring frame!

I think it will, as an e-bike.

Most utility e-bikes I see are way too heavy and lardy. Big thick frames, suspension forks, fat heavy tyres. The assistance is used as an excuse to let weight control go out of the window.

purpan

I’m in two minds about bar end shifters. I have them on an old Galaxy, but there’s a sticky-out inelegance about them that you don’t get with diwntube shifters.

avecReynolds531

Veteran

...Seeing decals like these again...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
9 speed was an interim solution as the sprocket race got started. 8 speed was a universal standard for decades , worked at every groupset level and was available in every bike shop.
105 was only 8 speed for five years, so quite short-lived, really. It was 9 speed for nine years.

10 speed jumped the shark for the long-standard Shimano cable pull ratio, and was less reliable when dirty. 11 speed broke the standard and increased the pull ratio, so works better than 10 speed, but gives you a more expensive and fussy chain for a couple of extra sprockets you won't use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom