What old cycling technology etc would you like to see return?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
If the weather was that shite, then why did you go for a ride in the first place? I don't look out of the window, wait until it's really pissing down, then choose that moment to go out for a stroll!
Have you been to Ventoux? The weather in the valley was fine. The summit's 2000m, so 2 x Ben Nevis. The summit's another world. In addition, we had to get over or round to get to the next night's accommodation of the tour so there was little choice.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My Dura Ace DT indexed shifters are 30 years old.
I couldn't afford Dura ace 30 years ago. :cry: My D/T levers are only 7 speed shimano 600 tricolor and 8 speed 105. :laugh:

Downtube friction levers are more difficult to use in the sense that a violin is more difficult to play than a Stylophone.
I commuted on DT friction levers for many years and could shift in an instant with no delay. I could shift front and rear simultaneously with one hand.
The one drawback was an unwillingness to shift when going fast down twisty roads.
Nowadays I use indexed thumb shifter on Alfine hub gears. I have used Campagnolo and Shimano indexed drop bar levers. The Campy had a much better micro indexed front mech system. There was always a bit of a delay and a remote feeling but fully loaded downhill was safer. As a touring backup I carried a Suntour micro-indexed rear DT lever that could shift any system.

postman

Legendary Member
Those mile counter things with the little window.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Proper shaped handle bars Cinelli 65 or 66 depending on your own preference (65 was always my choice), much more beautiful than badly shaped narrow ones of today, especially the aero ones more of the pros are starting to use.

Maximum 28 tooth rear sprockets, the big ones just look so bad, especially on a road bike.

Top Bottom