What old cycling technology etc would you like to see return?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Through axel's are a bit of a pest, they aren't really quick release, but you don't need tools unless you've got a 'stealth' version which uses a hex key. But there is a reason for them - increased load from discs and 'suspension' (MTB).

They remind me of a motorbike thru axle, that's probably where the idea came from.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't feel terribly strongly on the subject. I can see how they are handy if you transport your bike often.

In fact, on the general subject of what would I like to see return - nothing.

It's pretty much all available now if you actually want it. If I actually wanted wheel nuts, on some bizarre matter of principle, there would be nothing stopping me.

OK I'd probably have a bit of trouble sourcing wooden rims.

My road bikes were raced - so they were in/out/on top of a car regular, and they both have a chain hanger braise on for when the wheel is out. Even now, it's handy for cleaning & maintenance - especially the MTB's - much easier with the wheels off and bike in a bike stand.

Road bikes really haven't moved on massively, OK lighter etc and discs which have a couple of advantaged (wet weather and not wearing out rims).

MTB's though - I'll stick with the new stuff - far more capable, so I'll take suspension, dropper posts, geometry changes and advancement in tyres and, of course disc brakes, especially 4 pots !;)

dickyknees

Guru
Those mile counter things with the little window.

Tick, tick, tick,tick.

A quick glance at downtube is far easier than glancing back and down at cassette to check gear 😆
Considerably so! But also, you can feel the shifter position in your hand - either to check it, or as extra info/feedback when you are changing. Don't get that with brifters (or indeed the funky modern thumb-shifts for flat bars).

DTs are SUCH a simple, elegant mechanism. "Upgrades" would need to give me much better performance/convenience to be worthwhile.
(Yes, I've ridden 10s of K with various brifters - probably more than with DTs by now ... )

GilesM said:
The wonders of the modern double ultra compact chainsets with nice ring sizes like 30/46 mean we shouldn't need big sprockets for the road, although the ultra compact chainset is not exactly new, TA used to do a good range with all sorts of options.

There is always someone either with more luggage than you, or lower power-to-weight. And remember UK cycle-tourists used to simply accept a stroll up the steepest bits of their route.
So 30+ teeth (on the back) have their place, even though I could happily do plenty of riding with just 26 or 28!

Bring back lights that use rechargeable batteries. Preferably AAs. A much better solution for long distance riding and commuting that a crappy usb charged, lithium powered light.
I think this is a real green issue. For commuting the usb charging works pretty well, but you have to accept binning the things far earlier in their life than should be necessary. :sad:

Of course dyno-hubs are your friend too, that's the good news!

(but yeah, for long-distance - touring/audax/whatever, AAs beat everything. All this recharging power-banks is just a solution to a needless problem ... )

Hollow axles are larger diameter than solid, putting more material on the outside.
With a qr , if the axle breaks in two the skewer clamps the broken pieces together, in fact you might not even notice that it’s broken. Ive had one or two cases when I got home with a broken rear axle. With a solid axle and nuts I would have been in trouble.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Considerably so! But also, you can feel the shifter position in your hand - either to check it, or as extra info/feedback when you are changing. Don't get that with brifters (or indeed the funky modern thumb-shifts for flat bars).

DTs are SUCH a simple, elegant mechanism. "Upgrades" would need to give me much better performance/convenience to be worthwhile.
(Yes, I've ridden 10s of K with various brifters - probably more than with DTs by now ... )

That as well. You can put your hand on the lever in the dark and know where your gears are at.

Top Bottom