What racing bike would you buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd buy whichever bike that was fastest with me on board!

TBH, I'd rather spend the money on going in the wind tunnel and getting my position dialled and choosing the best helmet and wheels and then spend whatever was left on some top notch coaching!

Yeah the "boring" choice, but personally, I am more concerned with going as fast as possible than owning stuff.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Money is no object for me but I still would struggle to generate much enthusiasm for spending much more than £1k for a bike (and I have in the past spent £6k on weekend toy cars just to bash them against rocks and trees and sink them up to the mirrors in ponds!).

To me it is more about the riding than the ownership. I want a decent bike but importantly it must work well and reliably. That can easily be achieved for £1k

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't race, and I'd find racing bikes awful to ride, but if money was no object I'd try to get hold of a 1940s/50s bike with that weird Campagnolo Corsa rear mech that had a lever to release the rear wheel QRs so the wheel slid back in the dropouts to take up the chain tension.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
In a similar vein to Rob3ert's answer, if I really wanted to race, unlimited funds would enable me to quit my job and train full time. Otherwise a >£1500 bike is pointless.

I quite fancy a go on some of Skol's toy cars though!

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I'd buy whichever bike that was fastest with me on board!

TBH, I'd rather spend the money on going in the wind tunnel and getting my position dialled and choosing the best helmet and wheels and then spend whatever was left on some top notch coaching!

Yeah the "boring" choice, but personally, I am more concerned with going as fast as possible than owning stuff.
I see what you mean and i think many would agree to what you say including me
wind tunnel wow that woulld be hard work for me though.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Money is no object for me but I still would struggle to generate much enthusiasm for spending much more than £1k for a bike (and I have in the past spent £6k on weekend toy cars just to bash them against rocks and trees and sink them up to the mirrors in ponds!).

To me it is more about the riding than the ownership. I want a decent bike but importantly it must work well and reliably. That can easily be achieved for £1k
interesting the price you mention what bike wouldl you be able to buy for 1,000
can you give me a few for instances for a 1,000 i mean what would you choose
to buy.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I don't race, and I'd find racing bikes awful to ride, but if money was no object I'd try to get hold of a 1940s/50s bike with that weird Campagnolo Corsa rear mech that had a lever to release the rear wheel QRs so the wheel slid back in the dropouts to take up the chain tension.

i have a few old bikes from way back a nice Raleigh Router, an old Elswick , a Raleigh Rapide, also a Philips
and a BSA Tour Of Britain, all of course had the down tube shifters i enjoy riding these
bikes just as much as my Trek.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
interesting the price you mention what bike wouldl you be able to buy for 1,000
can you give me a few for instances for a 1,000 i mean what would you choose
to buy.
Lots of road bikes with tiagra or 105 can be had for £1k or less. I bought THIS for £700, reduced from an RRP of £900. If I were a competitive person I would not hesitate to use it for racing. I was recently looking at Cube road bikes for a friend and for the £1k budget I think I even saw some carbon 105 equipped bikes reduced as last years model and easily found the aluminium framed models with Tiagra or 105 below £1k.

I have a £700 hybrid but I have had to replace brakes and wheels so it is now closer to a £1k spec but it is all the working bike you could ever need.

There are loads of well spec'd mountain bikes around the £1k price point to.

If you have a £1k bike that fits you well then you will see minimal improvements to longevity or performance by spending more. After this it simply becomes a game of marginal gains and self indulgence/materialism/consumerism (call it what you prefer).

I just looked back at the email I sent my mate and HERE'S the carbon Cube 105 now down a further £50 to ONLY £930! (and 58cm is my size too :whistle:). Why would you need more bike than that?

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Lots of road bikes with tiagra or 105 can be had for £1k or less. I bought THIS for £700, reduced from an RRP of £900. If I were a competitive person I would not hesitate to use it for racing. I was recently looking at Cube road bikes for a friend and for the £1k budget I think I even saw some carbon 105 equipped bikes reduced as last years model and easily found the aluminium framed models with Tiagra or 105 below £1k.

I have a £700 hybrid but I have had to replace brakes and wheels so it is now closer to a £1k spec but it is all the working bike you could ever need.

If you have a £1k bike that fits you well then you will see minimal improvements to longevity or performance by spending more. After this it simply becomes a game of marginal gains and self indulgence/materialism/consumerism (call it what you prefer).

I just looked back at the email I sent my mate and HERE'S the carbon Cube 105 now down a further £50 to ONLY £930! (and 58cm is my size too :whistle:). Why would you need more bike than that?

Well this is surprising so you dont need to spend thousands on a good bike i like the
700 pound one you bought, i have a Trek 1.2 would it be worthwhile for me to but something
like the 700 one you bought i mean how much better would a 1,000 bike to my Trek 1.2.
I dont know what 58cm is in inches most of old ones are 23 inches the Router has a 25 inch frame and so is the Philips so quite biggy.

Is this Evans bike shop the shop to have a look at some good racers theres one near
lakeside not that far from me, all i have here is Halfords but id like to have a look in a
proper bike shop would Evans be worth a trip for a look at the better bikes . . .

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I just looked back at the email I sent my mate and HERE'S the carbon Cube 105 now down a further £50 to ONLY £930! (and 58cm is my size too :whistle:). Why would you need more bike than that?[/quote

i just saw the inches part and the 58cm would be ok for me i like the one you
sent an e mail to your mate looks miles better than my Trek 1.2 is there much
difference in this bike to my Trek 1.2 i mean how much better componments
and woukd it be that much lighter than my Trek . . . . .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
.......i mean how much better would a 1,000 bike to my Trek 1.2.. . .
Look at it from a different angle, what is it about your Trek that is disappointing you or compromising your riding? Why do you feel the need to change apart from the fact that there are so many nice looking shiny bikes available?

There was some guy on here just last week swearing and cursing because he had bought a new road bike and paid an extra £150 to get the 105 equipped model but he was ticked off 'because it's no better than my 5yr old Tiagra equipped bike and I can hardly afford to waste £150 for nothing!'. This is perhaps the point I am trying to make, once you get past a certain level, nearly all bikes are 'good' and the different spec's just mean minor variations in the levels of goodness.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
i just saw the inches part and the 58cm would be ok for me i like the one you
sent an e mail to your mate looks miles better than my Trek 1.2 is there much
difference in this bike to my Trek 1.2 i mean how much better componments
and woukd it be that much lighter than my Trek . . . . .
Personally I would save my money and get the aluminium frame with carbon forks and full 105 groupset HERE for only £730.
If I were in the market for a new bike, that would probably be high on the list.

Top Bottom