What (readily-available) drinks are best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I mean ones I can find at any petrol station here in the UK. I like to cycle hard (30/40mph top speed on a mountain bike that weighs as much as three obese toddlers) so I need something quick I can buy on the way.. are flapjacks any good?

Lucozade is not good either, it makes me feel weak and jittery. I actually find that if I am tired I am better off drinking nothing than something like that.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't think you're meant to drink flapjacks :smile:
Drink water? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
why not just take a bottle of water/squash/whatever with you - that will save you stopping at petrol stations. Good luck trying to hit those speeds....

The cars I overtook on the way to Halfords today beg to differ. It's a nice stretch of road, three lanes either side, decently maintained surface. 30mph was nothing for me. There was no significant uphill, admittedly.

By the way MTB has 26 inch rims and a front cassette that should be on a road bike. Might explain the speed?

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Now the law as changed ........ Scotch

Bikes can't speed, and if they can, who really cares on a car-only carriageway? It's fun.

Oh more on topic, thing with water is it is unbeatable for rehydration but what about the calories?

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
If you're aiming at those speeds, I would ask Lance about his favorite fluid.:thumbsup:

What is so unbelievable about an MTB hitting 30 or 40mph, honestly?

If it has a road bike's front cassette then it can go just as fast as a road bike as long as the rider has the ability. I've ridden an MTB for years, ofc I have the ability. Just not uphill, which is why I am buying a roadbike soon. That weight is a killer.

redcard

Veteran
What is so unbelievable about an MTB hitting 30 or 40mph, honestly?

If it has a road bike's front cassette then it can go just as fast as a road bike as long as the rider has the ability. I've ridden an MTB for years, ofc I have the ability. Just not uphill, which is why I am buying a roadbike soon. That weight is a killer.

Are you on strava?

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Downhill with a tail wind absolutely nothing:rolleyes:

I hate to get into ad hominem here, but this says more about your fitness than mine. I've been riding an MTB for years, and anything less than uphill is a breeze when I'm hyper (which doesn't always mean downhill).

r80

My Hybrids gearing simply cant take any more spins when I get to 35, the front gears are too big. As a result it takes up so much energy, and is more efficient to drop to about 20 which is what the gear was designed to do. The pros in their pelton's and expensive roadies average about that speed on a flat day.

I hate to get into ad hominem here, but this says more about your fitness than mine.
Being both old and fat, no doubt, anything over a couple of miles and I find myself wheezing and reaching for the candy bars.Still every little helps and we all have to start somewhere before reaching the peak of physical fitness you talk about:training: Though I fear I will only be able to dream of cycling at 60+ kph on anything other than a downhill.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Are you on strava?

I do have an account, but I haven't used it in ages. I think I might've added one segment from a morning commute, but I'm not hyper in the morning (and definitely not in the afternoon when I have to come home from college). It's in the evening when I am hyper that I do these sorts of speeds (still counts IMO).

Anyway, I'll see if I can record a route where I'm doing these speeds.

Top Bottom