What (readily-available) drinks are best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
If the op is such a successful rider, then perhaps he needs not concern himself with what he's drinking, water must be good enough.

Drago

Legendary Member
Was overtaken by a bloke on an Apollo the other day. He must've been doing 60, was smoking a cigar, and was giving a backie to a fit lass who was giving him a reacharound.

Didn't get a good enough look to see what front cassette he was running though.

Going back to the OP, I find water fine for almost all uses.

I've been known to make a thin mix of fruit juice and add a pinch of salt, but I'm not sure there is much benefit at my fairly modest level.

I find water extremely readily available. I've had brackets (or cages) fitted to the tubes on my bicycle frame and I nestle plastic water bottles in them. The frames are shaped and slightly sprung, so whilst the bottle can be easily withdrawn by a thirsty rider on the move, it is unlikely to fall out or be flung out - unless descending at speed in the Beacons....

As to the water I drink, this is also readily available. Before we moved into our family home, I asked a plumber to fit a series of valves at pipe ends. These valves were connected directly to a domestic cold-water supply. With the job complete, I was able to open a valve in one of several rooms where they were present and by holding the empty bottle beneath the pipe end, fill it with cold, potable water.

I think this a great step forward in domestic design. I pity the poor folk I see at Waitrose and similar retail outlets who still have to travel miles to buy containers of drinking water. It reminds one uncomfortably of some parts of Sub-Saharan Africa in decades past. For those of us lucky enough to move with the times, clean drinking water is available in the home.

OP, I hope this has helped. And welcome to CC. I'm sorry that some posters have chosen to be beastly to you.

Do remember to wear a helmet at all times when on a bicycle and take primary position whenever you feel slightly resentful of the higher cruising speeds achieved by cars in some traffic conditions.

Thank you.

Top Bottom