What (readily-available) drinks are best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
You are obviously a lot fitter and more experienced than the rest of us on here, oldfatfool is really slow and I am about the same, I expect your fairly modest speeds are as a result of your bike having knobbly tyres on? 40 mph on the flat eh, what part of the country are you in, perhaps you could run some kind of course for other Cycle Chat members in your area, I think we would all benefit, I'm a lot slower than you but would be willing to travel to pick up any tips :smile:.

I agree - please can you [kookiemonster] teach me how to cycle fast and even more so without needing to drink liquids. There's a great number of us here who need to be taught how to cycle at those speeds in relative ease on the flat.

Please hurry and answer our callings, as I have strava segments to pulverise.

RiflemanSmith

Funny I only managed to hit 31 mph going down hill on my Hybrid near enough laying flat on the bars on last Sundays London to Brighton.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What aerodynamic helmet and skin suit do you use to hit 40MPH on a flat bar mountain bike?? Please pass your tips on to David Brailsford.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This thread screams of bored 14 year old with special needs and a bike computer set to measure metric rather than imperial!

mattobrien

Guru
I managed to hit 35mph on my MTB (Trek 6000) and that was down a reasonably large hill, or as large as Suffolk has to offer anyway. It was way beyond pedalling out and I was tucking in as much as is possible on a MTB.

I can hit 30mph, albeit briefly, on the flat on my roadie, but sadly not 40mph, that is reserved for hills, dry weather and no obstacles.

All that said I do often manage to overtake car when riding on my Brompton in London, although I am not goign to make a comment about the speed of traffic in London :whistle:

And finally, a heavier weight doesn't mean you descend faster. The laws of gravity apply equally and a heavy object will fall just as rapidly as a light one. Weight is only a penalty going up and is of no advantage going down. Has no-one seen the feather and hammer experiment on the moon landing

vickster

Legendary Member
40 mph on the flat eh, what part of the country are you in, perhaps you could run some kind of course for other Cycle Chat members in your area, I think we would all benefit, I'm a lot slower than you but would be willing to travel to pick up any tips :smile:.

He's apparently in Birminham, EN... wherever that may be...perhaps near the bridge under which the trolls live? :troll:

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
I never said 40 on the flat, herp. 40 is a decent downhill. 30 or so is my top speed on a well surfaced flat when I am feeling good. By the way, I don't have a speedo, I just look at the speed of the cars and take a rough guess, which is pretty accurate in low traffic since car speed = speed limit (at least on the dual carriageways, because of fewer junctions). If I am keeping up with the cars on the middleway, then I'm doing approx 30mph.

Thanks for the warm welcome, though.

It's actually a sort of compliment that you guys find it so unbelievable that you turn into 4 year olds.

By the way, I don't have a speedo, I just look at the speed of the cars and take a rough guess,

implied-facepalm1.jpg

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member

So on a dual carriageway with hardly any traffic on it and the next roundabout about 900 yards away, you think cars are trundling along at 20? No wonder you guys always bitch about 'bad drivers'.

My bike is a cheap Halfords MTB with a huge roadie front cassette. With that cassette, it's pretty much down to your endurance.

VamP

Banned
Guys, you're clearly not understanding the impact that front cassette is having! Come on, give the guy a break, he's obviously onto the next big thing.

Top Bottom