What (readily-available) drinks are best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hate to get into ad hominem here, but this says more about your fitness than mine. I've been riding an MTB for years, and anything less than uphill is a breeze when I'm hyper (which doesn't always mean downhill).

Awesome. Start racing. Seriously.

Davidc

Guru
What's wrong with a nice cup of tea?

redcard

Veteran
I hate to get into ad hominem here, but this says more about your fitness than mine. I've been riding an MTB for years, and anything less than uphill is a breeze when I'm hyper (which doesn't always mean downhill).

When people talk about average speed they usually mean maximum speed.

A man of your abilities must be on Strava though ;)

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Don't forget he is on an old MTB weighing 20 - 30 kg, imagine if he was on a CF roadie, I rekon he must be good for 50+ on the flat.

I am going to save up for a good road bike, actually been looking for some jobs to fund it. I seriously hate pulling my MTB up hills, esp as it isn't optimised for the road at all. Most of my daily commute is a giant uphill in the face.

Strava-wise, like I said I'll try to post a route some time (probably not before Monday though).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Being a wimp (no, seriously), the fastest I ever managed on a MTB (17 kg) on tarmac was about 34 mph on a steep hill in Canada. Apart from my terrible fear, my lasting impression was the incredible rumble from the tyres. Quite amazing.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Being a wimp (no, seriously), the fastest I ever managed on a MTB (17 kg) on tarmac was about 34 mph on a steep hill in Canada. Apart from my terrible fear, my lasting impression was the incredible rumble from the tyres. Quite amazing.

Downhill I think MTBs have the advantage over lighter forms by default, because they're pulled down it by their weight. IMO, the best fun you can have on a hill is an MTB with very high gears at the top, wearing goggles (idk about you but big hills make my eyes water). The biggest fear for me personally is that a car will pull out without looking or turn into the road from nowhere and I won't be able to brake in time. Still, cars are most of the fun, because unless you have a speedo, comparing to cars is the quickest way to judge your speed - they are always doing at least the speed limit (usually more) unless there's heavy traffic.

musa

Über Member
That see through liquid known as water

Lucozade is more a recovery drink. Full of sugar

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
That see through liquid known as water

Lucozade is more a recovery drink. Full of sugar

I would, but I've heard that you can really replenish your energy if you drink high calorie stuff with low sugar/carbs, no caffeine etc. Is that wrong?

I heard 'Hammer' thrown around a lot, but I couldn't find that in a petrol station.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Coca-Cola the pros drink it. Plenty of sugar and caffeine as well.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In the 60s, the peleton nipped into bars for a quick cognac before a big hot climb. Not a good idea.

I would, but I've heard that you can really replenish your energy if you drink high calorie stuff with low sugar/carbs, no caffeine etc. Is that wrong?

I heard 'Hammer' thrown around a lot, but I couldn't find that in a petrol station.

leave sh1t like 'hammer' and 'monster' to chavs on street corners - it is not for serious exercise. Water, squash, diluted fruit juice, etc is all you need to take with you on a ride. If you go for longer than two hours, take some food with you as well.

totallyfixed

Veteran
You are obviously a lot fitter and more experienced than the rest of us on here, oldfatfool is really slow and I am about the same, I expect your fairly modest speeds are as a result of your bike having knobbly tyres on? 40 mph on the flat eh, what part of the country are you in, perhaps you could run some kind of course for other Cycle Chat members in your area, I think we would all benefit, I'm a lot slower than you but would be willing to travel to pick up any tips :smile:.

Top Bottom