Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Venison

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Duck

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Goose

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We no likey turkey here chez Casa Reynard, so mum and I will have anything else but.

Last year we had monkfish tail wrapped in serrano ham and roasted in the oven, the year before we had a guinea fowl, and the year before that, a shoulder of lamb. I keep it reasonably open-ended until Xmas eve to see what's going on YS.

This year I plan on either having duck or gammon unless something else catches my fancy on YS in the mean time. The duck I have in the freezer is already boned out, so, if I decide to have that, I will stuff it with sausage meat, apples and prunes, roll it up, braise it in the crock pot till nearly done, then crisp it up in the oven.

If your oven is on the small size and it's just for two like it is here, the crock pot is your friend - that way you don't need to buy a big piece of meat as it won't dry out. Maybe a nice piece of beef rib (on the bone of course) braised in a good beer, with roasties and red cabbage. Or how about pork shoulder braised in cider with mash, apple sauce, veg and prunes and saussies wrapped in bacon. What about rabbit if you can get it?

Or, if you do want a bird, guinea fowl is a good bet, or maybe a really good free range organic chook. I'd advise against pheasant unless you know exactly where the bird has been sourced from. Pheasant can be tough, gamey and disappointing, which is not what you want for Xmas dinner.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
all of your options are far too poncy... pot noodle, is the answer.

pjd57

Veteran
You're brave suggesting a veggie option to User :ph34r:
36 years without eating dead animals, so I'm not changing it for Christmas or Cycle Chat

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Venison for me - and if you're in the Peak District you might be able to bag yourself some free-range venison on the way up there.

But honestly, it's Christmas.
You won't want to spend hours slaving over a hot stove will you?
So I recommend one of these apiece and take it easy. ^_^

000a.JPG

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd go rib roast, or rack of lamb, or duck confit. Or all three on successive days.
The fat from the confit duck makes excellent roast potatoes.

As a butcher , good beef rib eye gets my vote. I can’t believe how many people insist on turkey year after year and every year complain that turkey is crap

I don't buy turkey as a rule, even on yellow sticker. There's nicer poultry out there.

Love beef rib, it's such a versatile cut. It's equally good as steaks, roast or braised. And so full of flavour. I still have two nice pieces in the freezer. :hungry:

[QUOTE 5024878, member: 259"]I like ribeye but I wouldn't do a ribeye roast for two people. I'd do it for a family on a Sunday so you get a choice of rare and more cooked for several people. I wouldn't do a turkey at all if i could get away with it though. Goose for me.[/QUOTE]

You could cook it like a steak in a pan with butter, garlic and herbs, just giving it a wee bit longer. Wouldn't roast a piece that size.

[QUOTE 5024912, member: 259"]You get ribeyes done for two people in Belgium but they will quote you 20 mins and they'll brown them and grill them and let them rest. Really nice though.[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant. :hungry: Should have been more specific LOL. :blush: Besides, I am half Belgian, I'll have you know... :whistle:

Top Bottom