Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Venison

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Duck

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Goose

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5024925, member: 259"]I'd forgotten that. My son's favourite Belgian thing is 'repasses' - free refills of chips![/QUOTE]

LOL! :laugh:

Have to agree about the free chip refills. What's not to like about frieten-mayonnaise? :hungry:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd go rib roast, or rack of lamb, or duck confit. Or all three on successive days.
The fat from the confit duck makes excellent roast potatoes.
A few years ago, Delia was pushing goose fat for Christmas roast potatoes so I thought I'd have a crack at it. They were a spectacular soggy failure. That says more about my skills than Delia's.

A few years ago, Delia was pushing goose fat for Christmas roast potatoes so I thought I'd have a crack at it. They were a spectacular soggy failure. That says more about my skills than Delia's.

Dripping (beef or pork) is my fat of choice for doing roasties. Failing that, I always have lard in the fridge. And always with lots of garlic, rosemary and cracked black pepper.

Two people and the dog. Away from all the family and all that goes with it? But still wanting some sort of big xmas dinner? Spending hours getting it all ready. "can't be arsed prepping it"
Sod that. Bacon sandwiches.
Go enjoy the time together. Walk the dog. Get drunk. Slob out. Spend time shagging instead of cooking.

(bacon sandwiches has been our regular Xmas Day lunch since we had kids 'cos we'd rather spend the time with them, than cooking sprouts)

I was a bit "Keith Floyd" in the kitchen that Christmas.:whistle:

:giggle:

But of course, the wine has to be sampled prior to using... ;)

Two people and the dog. Away from all the family and all that goes with it? But still wanting some sort of big xmas dinner? Spending hours getting it all ready. "can't be arsed prepping it"
Go enjoy the time together. Walk the dog. Get drunk. Slob out. Spend time shagging instead of cooking.

(bacon sandwiches has been our regular Xmas Day lunch since we had kids 'cos we'd rather spend the time with them, than cooking sprouts)

Christmas chez Casa Reynard is invariably very quiet - it's just mum, the cats and myself, so we only have ourselves to please. After years of pandering to dad and his side of the family, it makes a refreshing change. We have our Xmas dinner in the evening, which doesn't change the routine in any way, and tbh, as a really keen cook, upping the ante a little is a bit of fun for not much extra effort. We got to have a christmas pudding though, with brandy cream. That part is non-negotiable. :hungry:

Admittedly when you do the whole family thing, it can become a really stressy experience. More so if you have to cook and eat food you really don't like simply to keep the peace. Then I can understand the attractiveness of a bacon butty or a curry or something of that ilk, because I've been there...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Christmas chez Casa Reynard is invariably very quiet - it's just mum, the cats and myself, so we only have ourselves to please. After years of pandering to dad and his side of the family, it makes a refreshing change. We have our Xmas dinner in the evening, which doesn't change the routine in any way, and tbh, as a really keen cook, upping the ante a little is a bit of fun for not much extra effort. We got to have a christmas pudding though, with brandy cream. That part is non-negotiable. :hungry:

Admittedly when you do the whole family thing, it can become a really stressy experience. More so if you have to cook and eat food you really don't like simply to keep the peace. Then I can understand the attractiveness of a bacon butty or a curry or something of that ilk, because I've been there...
Yep, my record is catering for 6 adults and 3 Grandkids.

TVC

Right, thanks for that mental image.

It took me long enough to get over the picture of Fab Foodie cooking naked.

Last edited:
I will wait until Sunday, I have self control. (Bearly).

It's far more than I have :laugh: These roasties were lovely and crispy on the outside, sooo fluffy on the inside, and seasoned just right. :hungry: I like to sit my tatties in salted water for a few hours before parboiling and then popping into a hot oven.

In any case, I'm going yellow stickering on Sunday, so won't have the time to cook. :blush:

Top Bottom