What should i do about payment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some agreements are more like deferred payment - the entire sum is due after, say, 24 months.

Payments may be taken monthly for the convenience of the customer, but strictly the customer could leave paying anything until the end of the term then pay the lot in one hit.

It still seems odd the customer service operators cannot set up monthly payments having been asked to do so.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Not bike related but years ago we bought two settees from a well known furniture chain who have and endless sale.We used the buy now,free for 12 months then 48 months interest free offer.
Anyway after about 18 months it dawned on the wife that no payment had been taken.I emailed the finance company...no reply.After numerous phone calls no transaction could be tracked down despite me having the agreement and order number.I copied and emailed all documents....nothing.The last conversation I had resulted in the company saying I must be mistaken.
That was probably 15 years ago and nothing ever came of it!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not bike related but years ago we bought two settees from a well known furniture chain who have and endless sale.We used the buy now,free for 12 months then 48 months interest free offer.
Anyway after about 18 months it dawned on the wife that no payment had been taken.I emailed the finance company...no reply.After numerous phone calls no transaction could be tracked down despite me having the agreement and order number.I copied and emailed all documents....nothing.The last conversation I had resulted in the company saying I must be mistaken.
That was probably 15 years ago and nothing ever came of it!

Sofa, so good then?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't know why the OP is even bothering about this. If someone you have purchased goods from is too incompetent to ask for payment when due, why should the customer waste their time trying to get them to take the money? I'd just keep quiet and put the money aside in case they do eventually get their act together. In large organisations the frontline customer service staff tend to be low-paid and badly treated cannon fodder, so there's a good chance the person you speak to couldn't care less about collecting the money!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don't know why the OP is even bothering about this. If someone you have purchased goods from is too incompetent to ask for payment when due, why should the customer waste their time trying to get them to take the money? I'd just keep quiet and put the money aside in case they do eventually get their act together. In large organisations the frontline customer service staff tend to be low-paid and badly treated cannon fodder, so there's a good chance the person you speak to couldn't care less about collecting the money!

Because credit is a two party agreement and the OP is trying to fulfil his side so if anything legal happens he can show that he attempted payment .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Some agreements are more like deferred payment - the entire sum is due after, say, 24 months.
Payments may be taken monthly for the convenience of the customer, but strictly the customer could leave paying anything until the end of the term then pay the lot in one hit.
It still seems odd the customer service operators cannot set up monthly payments having been asked to do so.

As @Pale Rider says, sometimes finance can be on deferred terms, so while you have the option of making payments nothing is due until a set date when it all falls due, or you start paying monthly plus interest (often quite a bit of interest).
I'd strongly recommend reading through your paperwork.

As has also been said, an email to them stating the position and what you've done about it is a good idea should your version of events ever be challenged.

That said, I bought some bike insurance and took option of splitting the premium over 12 months interest free. Despite several phone calls it was month 4 before they took any money, when they took 4 months payments at once.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The onus is on the retailer to claim their money. So long as the customer doesn't refuse to pay it if requested, they aren't doing anything wrong.
Some years ago my work paid me an allowance I hadn't even claimed for a good few months. The money just mysteriously appeared in my pay packet out of the blue, then eventually stopped again. I kept expecting to get a letter saying that I had been accidentally overpaid, and requesting me to come to some arrangement to reimburse it, but nothing ever came of it! It was a nice chunk of cash too. Someone obviously cocked up, maybe it was better for them to keep schtum and not make an issue of it, as it would have revealed their own incompetence.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The onus is on the retailer to claim their money. So long as the customer doesn't refuse to pay it if requested, they aren't doing anything wrong.
Some years ago my work paid me an allowance I hadn't even claimed for a good few months. The money just mysteriously appeared in my pay packet out of the blue, then eventually stopped again. I kept expecting to get a letter saying that I had been accidentally overpaid, and requesting me to come to some arrangement to reimburse it, but nothing ever came of it! It was a nice chunk of cash too. Someone obviously cocked up, maybe it was better for them to keep schtum and not make an issue of it, as it would have revealed their own incompetence.
That's not how the law works

You might want it to work that way, but it doesn't. You can't "keep schtum" if you know they have made an error in not taking the payment. You have to take reasonable steps to inform them. If, after that, they still don't take the payment you're acting legally. What you're suggesting is not.

When you were overpaid, you acted illegally in not notifying your employer

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The source of the buckshee payments could even have been my old guvnor at the time, now sadly retired. I used to do a fair bit of covering higher grade posts when people were absent, as he used to really struggle to find anyone willing to do it. As well as the cover allowance I was fully entitled to, it wasn't unusual to also find an extra couple of hours overtime here and there appear in my wages on top - which was obviously the guvnor's way of saying thank-you for getting him out of a hole and making sure that jobs got done. I didn't rock the boat over the mystery money because it might have got him in bother, and if it was him, he was doing it with entirely good motives.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont know the legal implications but know if it was me i would not rest/sleep easy for the next 6 years if i did not pay up or at least send a recorded signed and witnessed message (witnessed by CAB perhaps) and keep a copy, sent to both the retailer and the credit company.

After watching Can not pay we will take it away on television it seems quite easy for an outstanding dept to spiral and come back to hunt some times a long time after expected.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No court in the land is going to enforce a contract where one party simply couldn't be bothered to collect their money, so long as the debtor didn't actually refuse to pay after payment was requested. My approach to financial cock-ups in my favour is I set the cash aside in case it does get requested, until a good period of time has elapsed. I once had a (very large) sum of money credited to one of my savings accounts in error by the building society. It was only in there a few days before they realised the mistake and transferred it out again, but the interest I received in the meantime was nice! They didn't quibble about that, probably just relieved that I didn't empty out the account and do a runner. A few people I know would be on the other side of the world by now with that much buckshee cash.

Top Bottom