What should i do about payment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Not bike related but years ago we bought two settees from a well known furniture chain who have and endless sale.We used the buy now,free for 12 months then 48 months interest free offer.
Anyway after about 18 months it dawned on the wife that no payment had been taken.I emailed the finance company...no reply.After numerous phone calls no transaction could be tracked down despite me having the agreement and order number.I copied and emailed all documents....nothing.The last conversation I had resulted in the company saying I must be mistaken.
That was probably 15 years ago and nothing ever came of it!

I have a similar story with a certain sofa company, the slight difference was I missed the payment by 24 hours. Ended up paying double for the feckin sofa.

Therefore, I must have paid for yours. Could I have it back now please.^_^

wyre forest blues

Über Member
The OP needs to carefully check the paperwork to see what type of finance has been agreed. I purchased a bike 12 months ago with 12 months deferred payment.. ie nothing to pay for 12 months. After that date interest is added at an astronomical rate. I paid a regular amount every month, but it was my choice. I could have paid nothing until day 364, then paid the full amount with zero interest. The OP will have received paperwork, probably by e mail if it was purchased on line, when the bike was purchased, so no excuse in 12 months time if its a deferred agreement when the op is hit with mega bucks interest. As it was purchased on line there is bound to be e mails.

tom73

Guru
No company can send the heavies round without a court order enforcing it. The company would have show that the OP had not payed anything despite asking for it or making attempts to make him pay. If the OP can show that they have willingness to pay and have made attempts to sort out the lack of payments then the court is likely to not enforce any action to recover the amount owed. So keep a recored of every thing you have down to get this matter sorted. As been pointed out after 6 years if they've still not done anything then it's game over.
But I do echo others the OP really needs to double check everything and see if its a buy now pay later if so you will need pay up at some point if not interest will added from the day you signed up and it will cost you a big time.

classic33

Leg End Member
How many on here have received letters for the wrong address. Company will have a record of these, chasing payment, and the OP may not know they exist.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No court in the land is going to enforce a contract where one party simply couldn't be bothered to collect their money, so long as the debtor didn't actually refuse to pay after payment was requested. My approach to financial cock-ups in my favour is I set the cash aside in case it does get requested, until a good period of time has elapsed. I once had a (very large) sum of money credited to one of my savings accounts in error by the building society. It was only in there a few days before they realised the mistake and transferred it out again, but the interest I received in the meantime was nice! They didn't quibble about that, probably just relieved that I didn't empty out the account and do a runner. A few people I know would be on the other side of the world by now with that much buckshee cash.

1) Courts would enforce a contract if the other party can show that due to administrative error, it didn't chase the payment
2) Setting cash aside when you know of an error but not telling the company of the error is illegal

Imagine this....say your Bank makes an error and credits your account with £1m and doesn't chase you for whatever reason. Do you think it's ok to keep the money or do you think you should notify the bank?

It's not for me to set your moral compass. But the stuff you are posting about the law is just plain wrong

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Imagine this....say your Bank makes an error and credits your account with £1m and doesn't chase you for whatever reason. Do you think it's ok to keep the money or do you think you should notify the bank?
You'll see from the above that this is exactly what did happen once, although the sum involved was only about a third of the million you stated. I was under no illusion I could just keep it, but was quite happy to bank the interest on it for the couple of days it sat there until the error was corrected. Sums like that are not going to remain "missing" for long, I suspect it was an error involving transfer of funds in a property transaction in which case it would definitely soon be noticed!

Top Bottom