What snacks do you take with you when you go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I've been primarily doing 20 mile rides. I'm out and back in no more than two hours. All I bring with me for those rides is some water. Even if I bumped it to 30 miles, I still wouldn't feel the need to bring anything with me. I think I might have an emergency packet of Gu in my saddle bag just in case I bonk. But that hasn't happened.......yet.

JPBoothy

Veteran
A couple of those individually wrapped Soreen Malt Loaf bars are always in my pocket :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nothing drinkwise for an hour's riding and nothing to eat unless the ride is getting close to 3hrs or more.
My commute is an intense 10 mile each way trip that takes 40 minutes and never even consider a water bottle for this no matter how hot the weather gets.
Do you suffer with headaches? That would definitely dehydrate me, but I don’t have a normal gut anymore.
No headaches but do have to watch my hydration on longer rides because I only start to suffer after 60+ miles if I haven't drunk enough earlier in the ride. I have to force myself to drink regularly in the first few hours even though I don't necessarily feel the need until much, much later.

JPBoothy

Veteran
No headaches but do have to watch my hydration on longer rides because I only start to suffer after 60+ miles if I haven't drunk enough earlier in the ride. I have to force myself to drink regularly in the first few hours even though I don't necessarily feel the need until much, much later.
I remember doing an Audax once and one of the stops was the usual little cafe crawling with lycra and everybody talking about Garmins and PBs so I opted for a quiet pint of Guinness and a Bacon + Egg Toastie in the country pub next door on my lonesome. I thought it was a much better idea than the healthy cafe stuff until I got 5 miles further on and a 20% gradient loomed ahead of me and suddenly it was not such a good idea xx(

BigMeatball

I take a roast dinner, soak it up in abundant gravy, blend it and put it in my two 750ml bottles. Regardless of how long I stay out for.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A buttered sticky bun or flapjack are my favourite snacks for the back pocket.
Unless it's a longer ride such as an overnighter - in that case I'll stick the rack & panniers on so I carry half of Sains with me.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I only take gels if I'm doing 60+miles.......and then I have to be really tired/hungry to put myself through the snot-like torture:stop:
I always take two bottles of water:wacko:
I know a tight-arse:whistle: who takes a block of Jelly(32p for 135g) instead of Jelly Babies(£2 for 180g).Bites off one block at a time:okay:

Twilkes

Guru
I know a tight-arse:whistle: who takes a block of Jelly(32p for 135g) instead of Jelly Babies(£2 for 180g).Bites off one block at a time:okay:

Ha, I was literally checking out the nutrition label on a block of jelly in Tesco this morning. :smile: Sticking to Love Hearts, 85% sugar, small enough that you can ration them so as not to overdose, and a refreshing zing in the mouth. I can only eat so many jelly babies without tying my stomach in knots.

When I did rides long enough to warrant food I would take some sandwitches. Sonetimes I would stop at a village shop and get some baked goods esp mini pork pie.
Fig Newton/rolls make really good pocket fodder, coming in fun size with a high melting point and a GI of 51. Isaac didnt just invent the cat flap, he gave us one of the greatest achievements of human endeavours.

Top Bottom