What supps do you take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Barely heard of El Pistolero? wow......
I don’t follow pro cycling (dull, I prefer to ride my own bikes :okay:) . The lovely scenery made watching a bit of the TDY this weekend bearable :okay:

OP
OP
7anceArmstrong
I don’t follow pro cycling (dull, I prefer to ride my own bikes :okay:) . The lovely scenery made watching a bit of the TDY this weekend bearable :okay:

Oh, i do that too, 210 miles last week...... But rather than waiving my e-penis id prefer to swap tips like Turmeric/Kale etc etc Many thanks all (Even...)

Anyway, ive utilized the ignore button, and would welcome any sensible input, this is, after all, the T F and H sub.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Many thanks.

Hard work, training will get you so far, but diet etc will increase any potential you may have. Surprised you guys didnt know that?
A very general reply as there are so many views on diets. Low carb high fat, low fat high carb etc etc. I thought you might be a bit more specific, no?

Get tested by your GP and then add vitamin D (as almost everyone who doesn’t spend all day in hot sunshine is deficient). Get a full bone profile done too (ie calcium)
Seem to remember this in the news a while ago and the medical arguments seemed convincing, ie - not hypochondria. Since it seems to be recommended that this is taken continuosly, seems best to buy in bulk for economy.
Anyone got any good sources?
On the general issue of supplements, with a small number of exceptions. i generally consider them pointless and even dangerous in that they are a distraction from just eating a well balanced diet of real food.

davidphilips

Veteran
Many thanks.

Hard work, training will get you so far, but diet etc will increase any potential you may have. Surprised you guys didnt know that?

That is very good advice, There are 3 things required to get faster on a bike,training, rest and a good diet, thing about diet is that if you training a lot then perhaps upping your protein intake and even adding some supplements that some one not training a few hours a day may not need.

Only advice i would offer is to take protein (even a glass of milk or an egg) as soon as you stop on the bike and within the first hour at least and try to take protein every few hours, i offer this as my view and what i do, good luck with the training and remember to put on suncream.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seem to remember this in the news a while ago and the medical arguments seemed convincing, ie - not hypochondria. Since it seems to be recommended that this is taken continuosly, seems best to buy in bulk for economy.
Get vitamin D3 in combination with vitamin K2. Yes, you ought to be able to get all vitamins except perhaps D from your diet but in most countries now K2 content of food is MUCH lower than it was for our ancestors. It mainly comes from animal products and animals get it from what THEY eat, which has changed significantly and not for the better. Vegans would have to be very careful in what they eat.

You can get K2 from fermented products such as natto (fermented soya bean curd, which most westerners find pretty disgusting!) but I just buy a D3/K2 supplement. D3 helps the body extract calcium from food, and K2 is used to control where the body deposits it. Without vitamin D3 you will suffer calcium deficiency (brittle bones etc.). With D3, but no K2, calcium will end up where you really don't want it i.e. instead of in bones and teeth, it could end up causing havoc in organs and arteries.

Read about it in Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life. (Kindle edition currently only £1.24.) It is very convincing.

I get my D3/K2 here.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the general issue of supplements, with a small number of exceptions. i generally consider them pointless and even dangerous in that they are a distraction from just eating a well balanced diet of real food.
I just buy 100 x D3 from Holland and Barrett (25ug, as 'prescribed' by rheumatologist, on special is usually around £8-10

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Turmeric? Nah. BCAAs? If you're getting enough protein then I can't fathom why you'd need those. Can't really comment on the others but vit D is a good idea, as @vickster rightly says a majority of the population is deficient, but that's general health rather than training.

I personally think that most of these supplements are like bike upgrades. Unlikely to do much good or much harm but if you feel like they're helping then whatever floats your boat. Just avoid some of the wackier herbal stuff which can actually be harmful.

huwsparky

Über Member
Many thanks.

But taking suppliments for something you're not deficient in doesn't really constutute an improvement in diet. Boosting a vitamin you don't need any more of Is pointless.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Pills aren't diet, why are you being cagey about what you eat?. You must have identified you are deficient to start taking these pills. Did you doctor recommend them? You should be able to get pretty all from your diet before you turn to pills. Vitamin D just get outside and go for a walk every lunch time during your working day. Vitamin k2 you want to be eating corn feed animals, Jarlsberg cheese is also an excellent source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom