What supps do you take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get vitamin D3 in combination with vitamin K2. Yes, you ought to be able to get all vitamins except perhaps D from your diet but in most countries now K2 content of food is MUCH lower than it was for our ancestors. It mainly comes from animal products and animals get it from what THEY eat, which has changed significantly and not for the better. Vegans would have to be very careful in what they eat.

You can get K2 from fermented products such as natto (fermented soya bean curd, which most westerners find pretty disgusting!) but I just buy a D3/K2 supplement. D3 helps the body extract calcium from food, and K2 is used to control where the body deposits it. Without vitamin D3 you will suffer calcium deficiency (brittle bones etc.). With D3, but no K2, calcium will end up where you really don't want it i.e. instead of in bones and teeth, it could end up causing havoc in organs and arteries.

Read about it in Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life. (Kindle edition currently only £1.24.) It is very convincing.

I get my D3/K2 here.
Musing - could vitamin D be added to beer without affecting the taste?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get vitamin D3 in combination with vitamin K2. Yes, you ought to be able to get all vitamins except perhaps D from your diet but in most countries now K2 content of food is MUCH lower than it was for our ancestors. It mainly comes from animal products and animals get it from what THEY eat, which has changed significantly and not for the better. Vegans would have to be very careful in what they eat.

You can get K2 from fermented products such as natto (fermented soya bean curd, which most westerners find pretty disgusting!) but I just buy a D3/K2 supplement. D3 helps the body extract calcium from food, and K2 is used to control where the body deposits it. Without vitamin D3 you will suffer calcium deficiency (brittle bones etc.). With D3, but no K2, calcium will end up where you really don't want it i.e. instead of in bones and teeth, it could end up causing havoc in organs and arteries.

Read about it in Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life. (Kindle edition currently only £1.24.) It is very convincing.

I get my D3/K2 here.
Why isn’t the dose stated? Unless I’m blind (there’s a lot of waffle on the product page)

And why if the evidence is so convincing are there no extensive Pubmed resources etc when looking for information on this? Just sites selling the products?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why isn’t the dose stated? Unless I’m blind (there’s a lot of waffle on the product page)

And why if the evidence is so convincing are there no extensive Pubmed resources etc when looking for information on this? Just sites selling the products?
The only thing I know about vitamin K is they give it as an injection to newborn babies but I can't remember why.

Or it's slang for ketamine...

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi all, I'm 45 so obviously my body needs more help than it did once upon a time. With that in mind I take a few supps which, hopefully, help physiologically not just as a placebo.

I currently take:-
Q10
Magnesium
Turmeric
Cod liver oil
Bcaa's

Not including protein etc etc.

Anyone anything they would like to recommend? Either for cycling or my currently hellish depression.
Depression apart, at 45 to 50 I was my fittest ever without any meds, supplements etc and riding 150 miles a week including a hard/fast 50 miler so assuming you're not suffering any physical ailments, eat well and you should be ok..
I used to find if I could muster myself in dark mood times, a bike ride gave me a huge lift anyway but as others have said, check vitamin D. SAD syndrome used to be a bad thing for me, a light lamp helped, I'd never considered vitamin D but I sympathise, it's not nice at all.

Why would you?
Pretty obvious i would have thought vickster.

Try to minimise pills - have shuddering memories of a long ago evening class social where some person took out a small, ok not so small tin, and proceeded to talk us through what all the odd!y coloured pill supplements were for. Her demo was followed by a deathly silence.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Try to minimise pills - have shuddering memories of a long ago evening class social where some person took out a small, ok not so small tin, and proceeded to talk us through what all the odd!y coloured pill supplements were for. Her demo was followed by a deathly silence.
I passed a jolly evening a while ago by arguing with an acquaintance on facebook about the merits of turmeric. He's an alternative health practitioner. It was interesting to see the pseudoscientific mind at work, he showed all the classic fallacies. At one point he posted a photo of his lovely embossed certificates. I offered to post mine...

vickster

Legendary Member

I don’t follow? The vit d pills are tiny

Oh and alcohol actually impairs the absorption of B vitamins, A, D, E and K...plus a bunch of other minerals and useful stuff so mixing with booze may not be sensible practice

https://www.livestrong.com/article/375909-what-are-the-effects-of-alcohol-in-vitamins-minerals/

Last edited:
OP
OP
7anceArmstrong
Pills aren't diet, why are you being cagey about what you eat?. You must have identified you are deficient to start taking these pills. Did you doctor recommend them? You should be able to get pretty all from your diet before you turn to pills. Vitamin D just get outside and go for a walk every lunch time during your working day. Vitamin k2 you want to be eating corn feed animals, Jarlsberg cheese is also an excellent source.

Im not, care to show me where ive been "cagey"? , diet has been done to death elsewhere, with plenty of knowledge out there already.

I watch my macros etc etc so there isnt much more that can be done on that front (in my humble opinion). Ref being deficient, no, i dont know about your health care but my GP has "all on" scripting the correct meds for an infection, let alone doing extensive bloodwork. Appreciate your input.

Getting the vibe some of you guys think im looking for peds etc, im not, at all. Supplementation ,for some, yields real world results.

Anyway, thanks again, for those that have given up time to offer suggestions.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Surely one can't advise on supplements without knowing details of the diet. Because what are you supplementing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely one can't advise on supplements without knowing details of the diet. Because what are you supplementing?
And may just be pi$$ing out whatever is being taken if not deficient?

Get tested privately? Could save a fortune in the long run :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom