What supps do you take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ , Many thanks for the imfo on K2 bought them from natures best (on sale at present) and intend to keep taking them, would be very interested in the other few other supplements that you take or can recommend, after reading up on k2 they seem well worth a few pence a day thanks again and safe cycling. .
I take vitamin B-complex. I probably get most of the B-vitamins in my diet anyway, but it is 'insurance' again and the tablets are very cheap.

I also take cod liver oil and Glucosamine Sulphate. My dad was crippled by severe osteoarthritis in both hips by the time he was my age (early 60s) and I didn't want to end up like him. I was starting to get discomfort in my hips 30 years ago so it looked like I might be developing the same problem. After a year or two of increasing aches and pains I decided to try to reduce the wear and tear. At the time there appeared to be good evidence that the combination of cod liver oil and Glucosamine Sulphate could help to protect joints so I started on the supplements. I think that researchers have backtracked a bit now and are no longer recommending them***, but all I can say is that my aches diminished greatly and I am still very active at an age when my father was painfully hobbling about on two walking sticks so I don't want to stop taking the supplements to see what happens!

*** Actually, they still say that there may be some benefits - details HERE.

Arthritis.org article said:
Chondroitin and glucosamine supplements alone or in combination may not work for everyone with osteoarthritis. However, patients who take these supplements and who have seen improvements with them should not stop taking them. Both supplements are safe to take long-term.

davidphilips

Veteran
Many thanks Colin, really sorry about your dad, best wishes and thanks again.

ColinJ

Many thanks Colin, really sorry about your dad, best wishes and thanks again.
Yes, he spent the last 25 years of his life in pain and unable to walk more than a few yards. He was going to have hip replacements but he had an unfortunate conversation with someone whose hip op had gone wrong and that was that - he refused to even consider it again!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I only take zinc because there's strong evidence that it strengthens your immunity to viruses. Started taking it daily in August 2018 and I haven't had a cold since. But I am also fussy about washing hands on coming home and before sitting down at my desk and not rubbing my eyes.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
I am 55, fast as i have ever been or more and am totally clean unlike you dopers.:angel:

Lucky man and long may it continue, Same as yourself i never took and vitamins or supplements but as Collin says vitamins are cheap and after reading up i will start taking a few mentioned above, way i look at it is might be a waste of money but for the sake of a few pence a day it just may improve or even keep me in reasonable health longer, but know the old saying do your own research.

lane

Veteran
I only take zinc because there's strong evidence that it strengthens your immunity to viruses. Started taking it daily in August 2018 and I haven't had a cold since. But I am also fussy about washing hands on coming home and before sitting down at my desk and not rubbing my eyes.

Started taking it mote recently with vit C and am on my second cold in three months - where do you get the good stuff from?

ColinJ

Lucky man and long may it continue, Same as yourself i never took and vitamins or supplements but as Collin says vitamins are cheap and after reading up i will start taking a few mentioned above, way i look at it is might be a waste of money but for the sake of a few pence a day it just may improve or even keep me in reasonable health longer, but know the old saying do your own research.
But don't forget that you can overdose on some vitamins/minerals. I read that nobody should routinely take iron supplements for example. Even going OTT on otherwise healthy foodstuffs can cause problems ... For example, Brazil nuts are a great source of (essential) selenium and I love them, but I read recently that we should limit ourselves to about 4 kernels a day because of the risk of selenium poisoning.

Top Bottom