What the hell??!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I got up this morning, went to attend to the usual call of nature and found a huge wasp floating dead in the toilet!!

Where the hell did that come from??

Tin Pot

Guru
It's global warming

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

[QUOTE 3624849, member: 76"]It could be a terrorist sleeper cell, hit it with a newspaper.[/QUOTE]
Tried that but got a bit wet...........................

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Well if we're on wasp stories, found a wasps' nest in the attic some years back, so mentioned to the Mrs that I was off to B&Q for the spray wasp killer stuff, only to be told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to touch it, and she would phone the council pest control people. A day later, was informed she'd phoned the council and the council lady had said ", why don't you just get a can of that spray stuff from B&Q", so back to my plan A it was.

Since wasps in large numbers are quite intimidating, I'd ensured a clear exit down from the attic, with all doors open so I could run down the ladder, down the stairs and out into the garden, with no trip-hazards on the way. Went as close as I dared, spray - at which point the nest disintegrated so I dropped the can and scarpered PDQ, all the way out into the garden. After 10 minutes, carefully started into the house - no buzzing, upstairs - nothing, up the ladder, nothing.
No wasps, disintegrated nest, no corpses - no-one home basically.

I subsequently learned that wasps, unlike bees, abandon their nests in the winter, so it was just an empty shell. All that adrenaline for nothing.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Well if we're on wasp stories, found a wasps' nest in the attic some years back, so mentioned to the Mrs that I was off to B&Q for the spray wasp killer stuff, only to be told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to touch it, and she would phone the council pest control people. A day later, was informed she'd phoned the council and the council lady had said ", why don't you just get a can of that spray stuff from B&Q", so back to my plan A it was.

Since wasps in large numbers are quite intimidating, I'd ensured a clear exit down from the attic, with all doors open so I could run down the ladder, down the stairs and out into the garden, with no trip-hazards on the way. Went as close as I dared, spray - at which point the nest disintegrated so I dropped the can and scarpered PDQ, all the way out into the garden. After 10 minutes, carefully started into the house - no buzzing, upstairs - nothing, up the ladder, nothing.
No wasps, disintegrated nest, no corpses - no-one home basically.

I subsequently learned that wasps, unlike bees, abandon their nests in the winter, so it was just an empty shell. All that adrenaline for nothing.
Haha I can just picture it!!

We do have trouble every year with wasps in a sycamore tree across the road, just wondering if there is a connection now?

snorri

Legendary Member
From where?:eek:
I had no windows open!
Some of these b****** can swim, and the really deadly ones can swim underwater, against the current:okay:.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't know whether I give off a really nasty odour (careful you lot!!), but Wasps and Bees never bother me, in fact, I see them making the effort to fly around me!!

Seriously though, I have only been stung 3 times in my life, one by a bee, and two by wasps..... But they were all my own fault!!

I could live in the middle of a wasps nest and be ok!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't know whether I give off a really nasty odour (careful you lot!!), but Wasps and Bees never bother me, in fact, I see them making the effort to fly around me!!

Seriously though, I have only been stung 3 times in my life, one by a bee, and two by wasps..... But they were all my own fault!!

I could live in the middle of a wasps nest and be ok!

basically, you don't bother them, they don't bother you. I've been wasp-stung twice (over 50 years), so hardly a major worry. Stir up a nest though, and you need to think it through, as that very much does break the "you don't bother them" part of the deal

Last edited:
Top Bottom