What the hells the matter with some drivers :=(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Here's one you'll like.

The neighboring village has a main road running through it, which veers off part way and skirts around our village and the next. Alas, the main road is closed until the 4th february for works and the cage pilots are using our village as a diversion. Fine, I don't like it, but sheet happens.

However, in a couple of places the main drag through our village isn't wide enough for 2 opposing traffic flows to pass simultatneously. "Not a problem", thinks brain dead office wallah on their way home from pointlessly reloading staplers, "i'll simply drive along the footway instead." I've taken to deliberately going out at rush hour, standing on the footway at one of the two points concerned, and giving my best angry Ross Kemp expression to drivers gesturing for me to levitate out the way so they can drive along the path.

I did phone the Feds and report it. A copper I know who's still in the job, but who works a different area, tells me they've simply closed the job down as a 'vehicle nuisance' with no further action. Well, that'll be someone else I can sue when I'm eventually run over.
You'd think they'd put temporary traffic lights at the 'pinch points', worth a call to the highways authority / council ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Apparently the Feds have reported it to Highways, but nothing seems to be happening. When someone does get run over I'll go the press with the dates, times and names of those in authority I've spoken to.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
You do know that cars don't have to stop? Most people do, but it is not a legal requirement https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-pedestrians-crossings.html

I didn't know that, but it's common courtesy which is something in short supply with road users in the UK.

But not stopping for people already on the crossing? like I said I had stopped to allow people to cross, and cars charged through while the people were crossing? they also went wide as they passed me on the bike allowing people to cross... so surely they need to allow people already on the crossing to get over the road.

the snail

Guru
Aye, the law is a bit twisted re zebra crossings. You have to endanger yourself before the car is obliged to stop, which is a bit perverse.
AFAIK, there's no law against sticking your leg out as if you are starting to cross though.

anna_adam

Yes, there are days when you have to go through a lot. You can't always get good people around, there are times to handle the idiots as well!

Top Bottom