What the hells the matter with some drivers :=(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
On the way back from work there's a dead straight narrow residential road, right hand side (ie, my side, in Germany remember?) is free, left hand side full of parked cars. Small gap about halfway down, visible all the way along.

So I'm riding along my side of this rather narrow road, and a BMW approaches the other end. She can see me clearly: It's daylight and I've got a light on. He pauses at the end but then comes to the conclusion I'll evaporate or something and starts driving towards me.
I'm used to thinking for drivers so I stop opposite the only gap she can pull into to get around me and wait.
Driver stops about 20m in front of me.
I wait a bit.
Driver flashes headlights in the mistaken belief that either 1: I havent noticed the car in front of me or 2: they are in fact death rays and I'll vanish in a puff of smoke.
I wave and smile.
Apparanently flummoxed by this turn of events, the passenger opens the door as far as it will go with the parked cars and asks what I'm doing.
Playing dumb, I smile and point at the gap opposite me and ask "Didn't you want to pull in there?"
"Oh, gosh there's a gap..." Car edges forward and pulls onto their side of the road I nod encouragingly and give a thumbs up as the road in front clears.
Driver scowls.
I wave and ride off up the hill...
Flashing the headlights has no other legal meaning than "I am here", but you already knew that. they were there.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I only got a couple of incidents on the road this summer. Both tourists. One in an open top sports job & the other predictably a 4x4.
Worse was when I cycled a couple of miles to visit friends. A distant relative was there who was a lorry driver. He quickly started telling me he hated cyclists and if I got in front of his 44 tonnes I would soon learn my place if I got in his way etc. My host was a bit concerned and was mouthing behind him telling me to back off since he was aware I do not suffer such people peacefully. I left before the fisticuffs started.
This was quite unprovoked other than that I arrived by bike. Dangerous bampot.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have noticed this happens in clusters like others have said, nothing for ages then a host of random abuse.

In each instance my guilt seems to be I was using a bike, worst instance was a coke bottle with what looked like urine in it being thrown at me.

I have stopped reacting back as you can’t sway these peoples minds, they have made a judgement and will stick with it, and too many nut jobs around.

When a guy told me earlier this week to get a rear light or he will run me other I did retort better go to spec savers but that was all.

If you get kids cruising around with their mates they will throw abuse to look big, I now avoid Friday night cycling as all the crazies come out.

Sixmile

Veteran
I only got a couple of incidents on the road this summer. Both tourists. One in an open top sports job & the other predictably a 4x4.
Worse was when I cycled a couple of miles to visit friends. A distant relative was there who was a lorry driver. He quickly started telling me he hated cyclists and if I got in front of his 44 tonnes I would soon learn my place if I got in his way etc. My host was a bit concerned and was mouthing behind him telling me to back off since he was aware I do not suffer such people peacefully. I left before the fisticuffs started.

and that is why some relatives are distant! ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member

With stated intentions like that I would be on the phone to the DVLA and his employer.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have noticed this happens in clusters like others have said, nothing for ages then a host of random abuse.

In each instance my guilt seems to be I was using a bike, worst instance was a coke bottle with what looked like urine in it being thrown at me.

I have stopped reacting back as you can’t sway these peoples minds, they have made a judgement and will stick with it, and too many nut jobs around.

When a guy told me earlier this week to get a rear light or he will run me other I did retort better go to spec savers but that was all.

If you get kids cruising around with their mates they will throw abuse to look big, I now avoid Friday night cycling as all the crazies come out.
Pick the bottle up, catch up with the vehicle it came from, returning it back through the window whilst reminding them littering is an offence which carries a fine.

Returned a disposable nappy thrown out the window at me. Warm day, so I'd no need to tap on the window, before returning their property and riding off.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Most drivers wait when the obstruction is on their side of the road, so this is what I expected this lady to do. Silly me !

It happens fairly regularly on this road, and I have now learnt my proper place and doff my cap whilst waiting.

Johnno260

Veteran
Pick the bottle up, catch up with the vehicle it came from, returning it back through the window whilst reminding them littering is an offence which carries a fine.

Returned a disposable nappy thrown out the window at me. Warm day, so I'd no need to tap on the window, before returning their property and riding off.

Or as I did in my case, they had stopped up the road and gone into the local pub, and left car windows open, I emptied both my water bottles onto the drivers seat.

Johnno260

Veteran
Most drivers wait when the obstruction is on their side of the road, so this is what I expected this lady to do. Silly me !

It happens fairly regularly on this road, and I have now learnt my proper place and doff my cap whilst waiting.

I get people do this to me when on 2 wheels or 4, I think the issue is many people just:

A) Don't care.
B) Are so focused on what they're doing, that what happens outside their tin box doesn't compute.

During my partial commute on Tuesday I had stopped while on the bike at a zebra crossing as people were waiting to cross, in the time I had stopped 3-4 cars drove through the crossing totally oblivious to those attempting to cross the road..

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I get people do this to me when on 2 wheels or 4, I think the issue is many people just:

A) Don't care.
B) Are so focused on what they're doing, that what happens outside their tin box doesn't compute.

During my partial commute on Tuesday I had stopped while on the bike at a zebra crossing as people were waiting to cross, in the time I had stopped 3-4 cars drove through the crossing totally oblivious to those attempting to cross the road..

Yes - but we get this less when driving a Honda CR-V than when driving a Hyundai i10.. seems to be plain old bullying.

Top Bottom