What the hells the matter with some drivers :=(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Trouble is, if you act like a car and filter that's fine until they want you to act like a bike. Then suddenly you should be 'on the pavement'.

It's your presence on the road that winds up this minority.
One young guy in a van months ago shouted out that I should pull in and let him pass, equally as pathetically and totally useless I shouted back that I would as long as he did the same whenever I was behind him in the Jag.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear you had a bad ride Johnny. Perhaps next time you should leave your "I love Brexit, Donald Trump, and Vlad Putin" T shirt at home.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I just don't understand though why some drivers hate cyclists so much. Are they subconsciously jealous because we can actually cycle and get from A to B quicker and that were not clobbered by the high costs of motoring..I make no excuse ,but I too drive big mileages each year as public transport is not to great where I live , but over the 30 years of driving cars / trucks I've never had any altercations with a cyclist. I've seen a few dangerous situations with cyclists such as riding at night on busy roads with no lights etc ,but it's never escalated into any kind of road rage. I tell a lie , I did close pass a cyclist a few years back and got some abuse off him ,but I did stop further along and apologized for my bad driving. He was fine after I listened to him giving me the third degree .We ended up shaking hands and went our separate ways. I just don't understand all this competitiveness of " I drive a car" and I've always got more rights than you the cyclist mentality.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Such instances of abuse are really annoying, we all get them I guess when out cycling.
I used to get really upset, but between here and on other social media I've found out that I'm not the only one, now I'm more chilled about it.
At least I know they have seen me, punishment passes mean they want to scare, not to kill, one hopes.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've pulled in front, clear off, a skip lorry that pulled out past me at a red light. Phone in hand, which the driver saw. He didn't stay around long, but I had the vehicle registration an company name. Simple case of report him, to the police at the time, the company the following day.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
*I was proceeding on green at some traffic lights. One car went through the red, almost left hooking me. On the other side, ANOTHER car went through the red, nearly right hooking me. I eventually caught up with one and banged on his roof so hard, he dropped his phone.

*Stolen from Twitter, not actually a real life experience for me thankfully.

On the way back from work there's a dead straight narrow residential road, right hand side (ie, my side, in Germany remember?) is free, left hand side full of parked cars. Small gap about halfway down, visible all the way along.

So I'm riding along my side of this rather narrow road, and a BMW approaches the other end. She can see me clearly: It's daylight and I've got a light on. He pauses at the end but then comes to the conclusion I'll evaporate or something and starts driving towards me.
I'm used to thinking for drivers so I stop opposite the only gap she can pull into to get around me and wait.
Driver stops about 20m in front of me.
I wait a bit.
Driver flashes headlights in the mistaken belief that either 1: I havent noticed the car in front of me or 2: they are in fact death rays and I'll vanish in a puff of smoke.
I wave and smile.
Apparanently flummoxed by this turn of events, the passenger opens the door as far as it will go with the parked cars and asks what I'm doing.
Playing dumb, I smile and point at the gap opposite me and ask "Didn't you want to pull in there?"
"Oh, gosh there's a gap..." Car edges forward and pulls onto their side of the road I nod encouragingly and give a thumbs up as the road in front clears.
Driver scowls.
I wave and ride off up the hill...

Slick

Guru
On the way back from work there's a dead straight narrow residential road, right hand side (ie, my side, in Germany remember?) is free, left hand side full of parked cars. Small gap about halfway down, visible all the way along.

So I'm riding along my side of this rather narrow road, and a BMW approaches the other end. She can see me clearly: It's daylight and I've got a light on. He pauses at the end but then comes to the conclusion I'll evaporate or something and starts driving towards me.
I'm used to thinking for drivers so I stop opposite the only gap she can pull into to get around me and wait.
Driver stops about 20m in front of me.
I wait a bit.
Driver flashes headlights in the mistaken belief that either 1: I havent noticed the car in front of me or 2: they are in fact death rays and I'll vanish in a puff of smoke.
I wave and smile.
Apparanently flummoxed by this turn of events, the passenger opens the door as far as it will go with the parked cars and asks what I'm doing.
Playing dumb, I smile and point at the gap opposite me and ask "Didn't you want to pull in there?"
"Oh, gosh there's a gap..." Car edges forward and pulls onto their side of the road I nod encouragingly and give a thumbs up as the road in front clears.
Driver scowls.
I wave and ride off up the hill...
I'm sure we've all had that or similar. There's one bit on my commute exactly like you describe and more often than not white van man drives towards me wondering exactly at what point just do I evaporate. Their response is usually a mixture of anger and embarrassment.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I had a spate of similar a couple of months ago, at least one really nasty. It does have a big impact on you, even if you're generally pretty resilient.

On the other hand, not had a single issue since, despite continuing my 100 miles a week commuting and a few other rides, so i guess that's well over 1000 miles incident free.

They do seem to come in bunches somehow.

Ride safely, don't let the bastards grind you down.

Top Bottom