What to do... aluminium or carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
How about the Ribble winter bike? I am not sure you'll find any sort of carbon bike that will take a proper rack and guards (just don't have the fixings - although plenty do commute on carbon). My pave which is more 'sportive' style carbon has no holes anywhere for attaching things!
Probably out of the OPs budget but doesnt the Hewitt Carbon Alpine have 'guard clearance? Not sure about rack lugs...
Ping Frank9755 - he has one.

fuji-stu

I love my Scott cr1...it's done 110 mile sportives and ive commuted on it too the carbon takes allot of the buzz out of the road...which is good for me as our roads are crap..I don't use it in winter but that's simply because I have a winter bike too..the cr1 would be more than capable although I've not tried mud guards on it

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have an Avail 2 - CS tried 3 sets of guards - SKS, race blades and finally the cruds - the latter fit but they rub - that is with 25mm tyres, 23s might be better - I can't imagine the Defy 1 is any better, you're a bit stuffed unfortunately...
...I am not sure on the 2013, the Defy 1 (2012) may not have proper rack lugs - the 2 and below do (like my Avail)
Thanks vickster – I want (need) to get mudguards on, even if they are 'just' Crud RoadRacers, and would prefer to be able to do that with 25c tyres, but don't need rack mounts.

How about the Ribble winter bike? I am not sure you'll find any sort of carbon bike that will take a proper rack and guards (just don't have the fixings - although plenty do commute on carbon). My pave which is more 'sportive' style carbon has no holes anywhere for attaching things!
As mentioned above, I've moved on from my earlier post in that I'm no longer looking for a "road bike that will take rack and guards" – I don't need the rack mounts as I'm delighted with my new Vaude rucksack and it's Aeroflex suspension back :thumbsup:

Ultimately, I want a faster, more responsive, more fun road bike, and the Ribble Winter bike just doesn't light my fire as they say... mind you with Winter weather 12 months of the year up here in Central Scotland, it'd probably be a sensible choice ^_^

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I love my Scott cr1...it's done 110 mile sportives and ive commuted on it too the carbon takes allot of the buzz out of the road...which is good for me as our roads are crap..I don't use it in winter but that's simply because I have a winter bike too..the cr1 would be more than capable although I've not tried mud guards on it
Interestingly, Scott is a brand that's been off my radar... not for any particular reason though. Good to know that carbon can smooth out those crappy roads – we have them around here too!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I believe the Trek Madone 3 series has clearance and mounts for proper guards. It keeps getting consistently excellent reviews as the carbon bike most suitable for UK conditions......
Might be just outside your price range though.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Probably out of the OPs budget but doesnt the Hewitt Carbon Alpine have 'guard clearance? Not sure about rack lugs...
Ping Frank9755 - he has one.
Hadn't seen that before... but I don't really like the styling.

I have however just spotted that the Synapse is available in carbon :eek:

Whilst my original comments suggested that I didn't like the styling of the Synapse, that was directed at the aluminium (Sora-equipped) one I saw in Edinburgh. The Synapse Carbon 105 looks exactly how I'd like my road bike to look (I'm a bit of a sucker for white/black/red paint job :blush:), and with it available at less than £1500 for sale 2012 stock I might just be able to squeeze the budget to it.

It appears to tick all the boxes – I like the look; it's carbon so I guess it'll be even lighter than the aluminium Synapse; the geometry seems perfect for day-in, day-out commuting, long weekend rides and sportives; it's got Shimano 105 and it already comes shod with 25c tyres.... but can someone please tell me if I'll get some sort of mudguards on it?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with 23mm tyres, over 25mm. I do a lot of miles on 23's and tbh you can barely feel any difference between 23 and 25. I mean it's only 1mm either side, isn't it?? Run 23's at 100psi or whatever and it will be comfy enough. Certainly better then trying to shoehorn guards onto a bike without enough clearance.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I believe the Trek Madone 3 series has clearance and mounts for proper guards. It keeps getting consistently excellent reviews as the carbon bike most suitable for UK conditions......
Might be just outside your price range though.
Now look what you've done... actually, I'm glad you pointed that out :ohmy:

Fingers crossed I can stretch the budget to £1500 (see last post re Synapse Carbon 105), and if so, I'd be daft not to check out the Madone 3.1...

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Nothing wrong with 23mm tyres, over 25mm. I do a lot of miles on 23's and tbh you can barely feel any difference between 23 and 25. I mean it's only 1mm either side, isn't it?? Run 23's at 100psi or whatever and it will be comfy enough. Certainly better then trying to shoehorn guards onto a bike without enough clearance.
What about puncture resistance? I've been running 25c Marathon+ for almost a year now having put them on after a month or so and multiple deflations on the stock Conti 28c's that came with my Flight... I'd been planning to swap out any stock tyres for Durano+ to have the benefit of that fancy blue rubbery stuff that's clearly kept the puncture fairy at bay this last year. The Durano+ do seem to come in a 23c.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Puncture resistance on 23mm tyres is fine (in 3 years I have had ~5-6 punctures and I am not running fancy or expensive tyres, also, I live in a city centre so road debris and pot holes are very common). Remember, a properly pumped up 23mm tyre has less rubber in contact with the road for any objects to stick in your tyres. Furthermore there are a number of 23mm tyres with additional puncture resistance being a key feature. Gatorskins for example.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Puncture resistance on 23mm tyres is fine (in 3 years I have had ~5-6 punctures and I am not running fancy or expensive tyres, also, I live in a city centre so road debris and pot holes are very common). Remember, a properly pumped up 23mm tyre has less rubber in contact with the road for any objects to stick in your tyres. Furthermore there are a number of 23mm tyres with additional puncture resistance being a key feature. Gatorskins for example.
Great – as mentioned above, I use Schwalbe Marathon+ (25) just now, and had planned on switching to the lighter Durano+ when I get my next bike. The M+ have been superb, and it's clear from the cuts and nicks in them that the magic blue rubber does prevent punctures :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like red, black and white...I'm biased (and not because I have a white and black kitchen and a red Brita :becool: )

IMG_pave.jpg

Top Bottom