What to do... aluminium or carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No it doesn't...what if I need to move it...:tongue:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
So, assuming I go down the carbon route, which of the following would you consider is the better buy?

Giant Defy Composite 2 (2012)
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2012)

Given current sale prices, the Synapse comes in at 'only' £200 more than the Defy but I'm thinking it might be worth it for 105 (which I wanted) over SRAM Apex and the Mavic Aksium wheels... beyond that, I don't know if there's a significant difference in the quality of the frame, or indeed the weight (difficult to find weights!).

I am also going to look at the Trek Madone 3.1 (2013) which is right at the very top of my budget, however I can't help but feel that the Cannondale might be even better value than the Trek, although it looks like the Trek would be the best of the 3 from a mudguard fitting perspective :whistle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Actually, it looks like whilst it says on the specs that the Synapse Carbon 105 has Mavic Aksium wheels, they look like Shimano RS10... are they still better than those on the Giant Defy?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
So, assuming I go down the carbon route, which of the following would you consider is the better buy?

Giant Defy Composite 2 (2012)
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2012)

Given current sale prices, the Synapse comes in at 'only' £200 more than the Defy but I'm thinking it might be worth it for 105 (which I wanted) over SRAM Apex and the better wheels... beyond that, I don't know if there's a significant difference in the quality of the frame, or indeed the weight (difficult to find weights!)
Bump... Anyone?

nathanicola

Dont know what wheels are on the giant defy comp but if they are the same as the standard mavics on the wifes ally version the spokes click where they cross on the rear wheel as it goes round, drives you insane lol

vickster

Legendary Member
Actually, it looks like whilst it says on the specs that the Synapse Carbon 105 has Mavic Aksium wheels, they look like Shimano RS10... are they still better than those on the Giant Defy?

If you want 105, presumably better to go for the Synapse, if you don't get on with Apex (which I like, as well as Tiagra) then it'll be more of a pain than changing the wheels - you can always flog the wheels to offset the cost of new ones - personally I would notice sub optimal shifting much more than the wheels!

Check the wheels and weights in the shops and have a test ride if poss? I'm guessing 105 is lighter than Apex, it is the next step up the ladder (Apex more like Tiagra, Rival more like 105 I think)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Dont know what wheels are on the giant defy comp but if they are the same as the standard mavics on the wifes ally version the spokes click where they cross on the rear wheel as it goes round, drives you insane lol
Don't like the sound of that :ohmy: According to the specs, the Defy Composite 2 seems to have the same wheels as the Defy 1 – Giant P-R2 rims with Giant sealed hubs (apparently). It also appears that the Synapse could be shod with either Mavic Aksiums or Shimano RS10's... different retailers have different specs, and there are different product photographs to match. Cannondale UK official website states RS10. Hmm.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If you want 105, presumably better to go for the Synapse, if you don't get on with Apex (which I like, as well as Tiagra) then it'll be more of a pain than changing the wheels - you can always flog the wheels to offset the cost of new ones - personally I would notice sub optimal shifting much more than the wheels!

Check the wheels and weights in the shops and have a test ride if poss? I'm guessing 105 is lighter than Apex, it is the next step up the ladder (Apex more like Tiagra, Rival more like 105 I think)
Thanks Vickster :thumbsup:

Last year when the Flight was in for a check-up and I was window shopping and discussing "upgrade options" at the LBS, they explained the difference between SRAM and Shimano as SRAM had a very positive 'click' to it, whereas Shimano aimed for the silkiest smoothest shift possible (i.e. 'click' free). The chap also suggested that SRAM was always going to be lighter than equivalent Shimano, although he didn't explain why.

My dilemma (one of them LOL!) is that I've never used drops anyway, so both Shimano and SRAM will be new to me. In my head, my next bike was going to be a proper road bike with 105, but maybe the fact that since the SRAM the brake lever doesn't move laterally, it might feel more secure to a "drops novice"...? I guess I really ought to arrange a test ride or two!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have SRAM on the Pave and Tiagra on the Giant - Tiagra (and assume 105) is very easy once you've figured out which lever - brake or other - to press for which way. I would say I manage to go the wrong way with SRAM more often but then I haven't done many miles with it. I think I'd probably go 105 or Ultegra if spending a grand or more on an alu bike.

The Pave was built for me with the SRAM, they said it would be better and easier for me and again, having never used either, and the fact the SRAM would have been more money, I went for it. If I were you, I'd choose on the basis of fit, looks, even brand preference. When I got the carbon bike, I did not want an American brand, I wanted something different. I almost bought a Tiagra Bianchi and then Pearsons persuaded me to spend another £400 on the carbon :blush:

Are they both double chain rings, or is one a triple. I don't face many hills and to be honest, the big ring at the front with the 10 on the back is more than adequate. People do say a triple good if a hilly area...

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have SRAM on the Pave and Tiagra on the Giant - Tiagra (and assume 105) is very easy once you've figured out which lever - brake or other - to press for which.... If I were you, I'd choose on the basis of fit, looks, even brand preference. When I got the carbon bike, I did not want an American brand, I wanted something different. I almost bought a Tiagra Bianchi and then Pearsons persuaded me to spend another £400 on the carbon :blush:

Are they both double chain rings, or is one a triple. I don't face many hills and to be honest, the big ring at the front with the 10 on the back is more than adequate. People do say a triple good if a hilly area...
From a fit perspective, the Synapse (aluminium) felt good in a 56cm, but so did the CAAD10 in a 54cm. I've not seen the Synapse Carbon in the flesh, but I really like how it looks! Again, I sat on the aluminium Defy in 2 shops – one said M was fine, the other said it looked a touch small and I should probably go for the M/L. The Defy 2 Composite is a very close second in the "looks" stage :scratch:

As for brand preference, well I don't really have any although I do have a soft spot for Trek – it's just a shame I much prefer the styling of the Cannondale and Giant offerings :blush:

Both are doubles (compact 50/34), although there are difference with the cassettes – 11-32 on the SRAM might be of benefit if things get hilly, although my commute is mostly flat. My Flight is Sora triple (30/42/52) with 12-25 at the rear, but I rarely use the smallest ring, and can't quite maintain big ring + smallest cog... I mostly find myself plodding along at 18-22mph in 50F/15R (6th) or 42F/13R (7th) these days, although I'm using the big ring much more than I used to 6 months ago.

Top Bottom