What to do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's private
Try it now. This tech stuff baffles me sometimes

Me too, but yes that works. 👍

Very close, and I always think that camera angle seems to show it a bit more realistically than a helmet mount.
If you listen to the audio I had a good curse at the driver, It made no difference to the outcome, just made me feel better. Although not only was that way to close it was in an incredibly stupid place to overtake. The driver knew I was going to turn as I had indicated not 10 seconds before and moved into the middle of the lane ready.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP (who probably has me on 'ignore' :laugh::laugh:)
I think you are causing yourself damage by running this camera with the ability to replay the closer passes you experience. We all experience close passes (and I get pissed off as much as the next man) but it does no good to dwell on it. The poster above notes that the footage does not 'do justice' to just how close the taxi pass was.
I'd also observe that you seem not to look over your shoulder much. I appreciate that it depends on the type of road but the footage suggests you rarely did. I think drivers behind who see the human riding a metre from the gutterand looking back at them are likely to give that human a bit more room. It may be that that heavy helmet of yours makes looking behind difficult, so you don't do it (much).

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Report it, it wasn’t an altercation and it’s a shocked reaction.
And meh if that’s what I can expect today I will mow the lawn instead of go for a cycle.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill

I think that’s where the contact was, it must have been his door handle.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think that’s where the contact was, it must have been his door handle.
Doubt it they are virtually flush, if he did hit you it must have been the mirror, but he doesn't look 'that' close, read that as to hit you with the mirror not that he wasn't too close.

I have to say that you hold your head very steady, you never look in any direction I wasn't sure it was a helmet cam to start with.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I’m not 100 percent sure what clipped me, whether it was his mirror, or something pinged up off the road. He was way too close, that’s for sure,
So you don't know if he clipped you or not, just that the pass was far too close (@1.46 on the video 'clip' btw). The motion of the camera shows no sign of any touch, but the car's wing mirror/your hand (on the bar) is a way from your helmet-mounted camera. Maybe something pinged off the road (officer). Airprox?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The only sticky point is that even I’m not 100 percent sure what clipped me, whether it was his mirror, or something pinged up off the road. He was way too close, that’s for sure, but I’ve been clipped by a bit of a car before, and was brought down, even though it was only a slight touch.
What camera are you using and where do you have it mounted?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Glad you’re not injured.

In this case I’d probably use it as a learning opportunity and consider moving the camera from helmet to bars.

Easier said than done but I would try to stay calm and if I caught the motorist further down the road would calmly ask them if they were aware that their vehicle hit me. If they say yes on camera then you’re laughing!

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Glad you’re not injured.
So am I
In this case I’d probably use it as a learning opportunity
Mmmm Okay.
I’ve been riding on the roads for 30 odd years, I’m sick and tired of this sort of driving, I don’t need any more “learning opportunities” like this.

and consider moving the camera from helmet to bars.
Because of the tight wads at Garmin, I don’t have a suitable mount yet, I ordered one on next day delivery, last Wednesday. Because of the incompetence of the delivery company, I’m expecting it to be delivered tomorrow, until then, it’s stuck on the front of my lid, not where I’d want it to ever be to be fair.
Easier said than done but I would try to stay calm and if I caught the motorist further down the road would calmly ask them if they were aware that their vehicle hit me. If they say yes on camera then you’re laughing!
You got that right.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
You seem a very angry rider to me . Chill out mate .
Jeez, you ain’t seen nothing. I’ve been knocked off the bike before now, the reaction was a thousand times worse. Especially when the driver responsible came to see if “I was alright” I was, he had a very bad day.

Top Bottom