What to wear Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomson

Quite new to cycling just to work and back three miles for a few months now.

Just cycle in my work clothes. Work trousers and fleece. Trainers.

Been thinking off goin for a longer weekend cycle daytime. Maybe 10miles. So just wondered what you wear while cycling?

Any hints or tips?

Cheers.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've always just ridden bikes in ordinary clothes, whether I'm going two miles or ten miles. For me, that generally means a pair of jeans on the bottom and a fleece or waterproof coat on the top half. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear cycling-specific clothing; I just dress for the temperature and weather conditions, which may mean carrying a waterproof with me just in case but not actually wearing it. I will absolutely NOT wear lycra on a bike!

ozboz

Guru
Keep dry, warm , especially feet and hands , closed footwear no vents as trainers do have , quality gloves , if you don a helmet wear a thinsulate type warmer under it , and you should be ok on a ten miler , I wear base layers if it is really cold like now

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There are no rules so wear what you feel comfortable in. Don't feel that you have to conform to any set standard. Really, anything goes. I wear baggy stuff on my road bike and don't wear cycling shorts, no padding for me.
Break the rules and be happy..... :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Really, anything goes. I wear baggy stuff on my road bike and don't wear cycling shorts, no padding for me.

The only proviso I would add is don't wear anything for bike riding that you wouldn't be happy to wear all day long for any other activity; i.e. comfort is important, fashion doesn't matter a toss.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The only proviso I would add is don't wear anything for bike riding that you wouldn't be happy to wear all day long for any other activity; i.e. comfort is important, fashion doesn't matter a toss.
Why the hell would you suggest that? Cycling is different to most other day to day activities so why would you wear the same clothes. I wouldn't expect to wear the same clothes to service the car as I do to cook dinner for the family in the evening.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I started off riding in just footy shorts, long sleeve t-shirt and a cag in a bag in case i got caught in a shower. But i found that after a while the bunching up and flapping of material got really annoying. Now I am a fully fledged man in lycra. But the important thing to note is that you don't have to spend loads on cycling specific clothing. My shorts were reduced Boardman ones halfords, bib longs from decathlon. Long sleeve Jersey was about 7 quid from tweeks. Short sleeve jersey from eBay £4. 2nd hand shoes £12 from eBay. Rain jacket was also a eBay for about ten. My spesh helmet is new but that was an Xmas present.

C R

Guru
I wear baggy shorts, last pair I got I think from Mountain Warehouse, not cycling specific, so no padding, and a t-shirt/long sleeve base. I also have a light waterproof from Mountain Warehouse for the rain, it has vents, so don't boil in it.

For winter I got some yoga tights from Amazon (far cheaper than specific cycling longs, and warm enough for me) to wear under the shorts, and a neck warmer that I can fashion as a balaclava to keep my ears from freezing. Of course, also gloves, and as someone said above, some shoes without vents, otherwise your toes will let you know very soon that it was a bad idea to go out when there is frost on the ground, you can guess how I know.

Happy cycling.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A lot of my cycling gear isn't specific cycling stuff. I have running & football bits as well as some generic, none activity specific items that just work well for me. Obviously, things like shoes, gloves and jacket are the genuine item, but for the rest, as long as the material is suitable it doesn't matter.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What I wear varies, from full Lycra to jeans, shorts and flip flops. It depends on the type of riding I am doing. A 10 miles bimble I could do in anything, but a 100 speed fest would be Lycra.

pjd57

Veteran
I resisted lycra for a long time.
But when I couldn't get any skinny combat style trousers when my favourite ones were done I bought a pair of padded lycra leggings.
Really comfy.
Winter days now I have a base layer top and bottom on as well.

If I am going somewhere that I wouldn't feel right in the full on outfit I will still wear the base layer under jeans

Venod

Eh up
You can wear what you want for cycling and as long as your happy carry on, but there is a lot to be said for wearing the proper clothing, you wouldn't go swimming without the appropriate gear (maybe skinny dipping) there is a lot of comfort to be had from proper cycling gear, lycra makes cycling more enjoyable IMO.

6F12F0FF-D919-4872-86C4-55AFAA904E68.jpeg

Top Bottom