What to wear Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
As your cycling ambition grows, so might your bespoke clobber. Jeans may be fine for a quick jaunt, but if you grow into all-day riding you may find they chafe where you don’t want chafing. Cycling clothing - close fitting leggings and tops - generally are tailored so as to keep seams free from areas of friction, and are close fitting to help reduce fatigue from drag / flapping noise etc.
When the bug bites and you get pedalling further afield, buy the best clothes you can afford. Build up a capsule wardrobe of a few good quality items whose style you’re sure of. For a road bike or touring a set of winter long tights, a few baselayers in thermal fibres, a fitting top with venting zips, and a raincoat. Oh, and a wool hat that comes down over your ears. And warm gloves and wool socks. Light top and bib shorts for summer.
If you become a racing snake there are lots of rules. I can’t help you there. Go look at Velominati for hints. I believe black is de rigeur and team colours are frowned upon (unless you cycle for that team, of course).
Do what suits you. I steer clear of bargain basement gear - experience leads me to conclude that you get what you pay for. Someone will be along in a minute to rubbish everything I’ve said, so I’m off while I can get away.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cant decide what you want to wear. But I will say that you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to be comfortable and dry....ish.

I have Rapha kit and Aldi kit and some of my Aldi kit is equally as good as my Rapha kit.

But I will say that my Gore rain jacket is better than any other rain jacket I have owned. But they are not cheap.

Planet X make good cycling gear and they are not expensive. But you may be just as comfortable in shorts and t shirt.

hoopdriver

Guru
I like Rapha gear - especially if you can get it on sale. I have had some of their jerseys now for 13 years and much heavy use and I'd say they were good for another 13 years. The original soft-shell jacket - mine is now also 13 years old - is the best cycling jacket I've ever owed. But Rapha can't do breathable waterproof to save their lives - their waterproofs, while highly waterproof, never breathe. Not in my experience. I second the above on Gore rain jackets - unbeatable, but as is noted they are not cheap. Worth the money though if you are going to make cycling a regular thing in all weathers.

All that said though, I rode around Australia - a 10,000 mile solo trek through the outback, over a period of nine months - in cheap board shorts, T-shirts, a fleece for the occasional times when it got chilly, and a pullover rain parka I bought at some discount shop and whose brand I can't even remember. And you know what? I made out just fine...

Tin Pot

Guru
Quite new to cycling just to work and back three miles for a few months now.

Just cycle in my work clothes. Work trousers and fleece. Trainers.

Been thinking off goin for a longer weekend cycle daytime. Maybe 10miles. So just wondered what you wear while cycling?

Any hints or tips?

Cheers.

As others have said, wear what you want. I wear what’s appropriate, and as I do long hard rides I wear cycle kit.

One stealth tip - If you want/need to wear normal clothes when riding or when you arrive. A trisuit has a thin chamois, it still protects but is unnoticeable when you put clothes over the top.

I’ve cycled thirty miles into the city keeping cool in one, locked up then pulled a shirt and jeans on over the top for a night out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh, and a colander for a helmet.

Wear whatever you want, as casual or bikey as you like. You may have to accept that normal clothes aren't so good as the mileage increases, but everyone's threshold is different.

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
As others have said, wear what you want. I wear what’s appropriate, and as I do long hard rides I wear cycle kit.

One stealth tip - If you want/need to wear normal clothes when riding or when you arrive. A trisuit has a thin chamois, it still protects but is unnoticeable when you put clothes over the top.

I’ve cycled thirty miles into the city keeping cool in one, locked up then pulled a shirt and jeans on over the top for a night out.

I'm guessing you weren't out 'on the pull'. Imagine the scene as you drunkenly stumble into your new acquaintance's flat, passionately pulling at each others clothes, only to reveal a secret lycra under layer.

davidphilips

Veteran
Only advice i can give is to wear a helmet and something to make you visible if you do wear dark clothing when cycling then use at least one good bright rear light both day and night.

rivers

How far can I go?
Wear what you are comfortable in. If I'm just going the couple of miles into town and back again, I'll wear whatever. Anything further afield (work, club runs, leisure rides), I'm wearing lycra because I find it more comfortable for longer rides. My wife on the other hand, will wear whatever she feels like, normally leggings or joggers, and however many layers she deems necessary to keep warm. In the winter, I wear long tights, a baselayer, jersey and rain jacket. If it's really cold, my long sleeved fleece cycling jersey comes out, along with a merino wool top and I add some thermal leggings underneath my cycling tights. I have wool socks, neoprene overshoes and some fantastic gloves I got from aldi for £5. 8-12 degrees, it's normally arm and leg warmers, above 12, the arms and legs are out.

Top Bottom