What to wear Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I always look at labels (of my cotton t-shirts, don't wear jerseys), as it is a common-sense thing to know what you are buying. I do not have merino base layers as I just argued about sheep; but people have been doing stupid things for millenia, that is true. The domestic sheep are bred for human purposes, which is how they've 'managed to survive'. Wild sheep don't have nearly the same wool amount or texture and so are left alone to frolic in the wilderness. You tout responsibility of the Earth and yet really do not care to be bothered about it, well... enjoy contradicting yourself.
I don't care to be a vegan - there's a world of difference between that and caring about the environment.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I don't care to be a vegan - there's a world of difference between that and caring about the environment.
And remind us again how great those sheep farms are for the planet? You fuss about the horrors of cotton but do you know the environmental impact that animal farms have? Not really much of a difference between the two after all, vegan and caring, usually they even overlap *gasp!*

hoopdriver

Guru
Your use of the word 'frolic' to describe the short and brutal life of a wild sheep in the wilderness tell me all I need to know of your knowledge of wildlife, survival and the harshness of the natural world. Disney is not real....

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Your use of the word 'frolic' to describe the short and brutal life of a wild sheep in the wilderness tell me all I need to know of your knowledge of wildlife, survival and the harshness of the natural world. Disney is not real....
'Frolic' as in being able to go wherever the F* they want, eat and sleep and reproduce at will instead of on demand- not a short and brutal life of being raised for human use, abuse, and slaughter. I know more than you can imagine and that you may think what you want about me and my ideals/beliefs but animals were not meant to be misused and nature perverted like we have. Glad you think that someone who cares for all creatures great and small knows nothing compared to you, O Great Contradictor. Alas, we may be getting slightly off topic, but care to enlighten us how those animal farms and mills for the wool are in fact great for the environment and much better than cotton yet?

hoopdriver

Guru
Moving right along..,

Goretex has certainly come on in recent years. I remember buying their first generation jacket back in 1978 and it was like sheet plastic. I picked up on sale the top of the range Gore One Pro Jacket over the Christmas holidays and it is unbelievable. Very expensive, even on sale, but it actually performs that hitherto elusive magic trick of being breathable and waterproof. I have been really impressed. It is a jacket you can just put on, in case, and not have to worry about boil-in-the-bag. It really works. Expensive, but seems to be worth it. The proof will be a year down the track to see how well it wears.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Moving right along..,

Goretex has certainly come on in recent years. I remember buying their first generation jacket back in 1978 and it was like sheet plastic. I picked up on sale the top of the range Gore One Pro Jacket over the Christmas holidays and it is unbelievable. Very expensive, even on sale, but it actually performs that hitherto elusive magic trick of being breathable and waterproof. I have been really impressed. It is a jacket you can just put on, in case, and not have to worry about boil-in-the-bag. It really works. Expensive, but seems to be worth it. The proof will be a year down the track to see how well it wears.
That's interesting - I've always considered the "breathable and waterproof" claim to be a blatant lie.

(And whoa, yes, expensive!)

hoopdriver

Guru
They seem to have cracked it pretty well. The proof will be later on, when the weather warms and if the jacket can remain breathable and keep a rider dry and airy under a warm spring rain. So far though I am favourably impressed - but then at that price point, it really ought to be impressive.

screenman

Legendary Member
Who ever guessed that a topic like this would end up being so argumentative. Whilst on the subject is using the internet good for the environment.

Where what you consider the best for the type of cycling you enjoy.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
They seem to have cracked it pretty well. The proof will be later on, when the weather warms and if the jacket can remain breathable and keep a rider dry and airy under a warm spring rain. So far though I am favourably impressed - but then at that price point, it really ought to be impressive.
The best fabrics breathe well enough to be usable as a windproof layer in cold dry weather, but if it's wet, the usual problem is that if the rain goes on long enough to overcome the water repellency of the jacket, you get a continuous and completely non-breathable layer of water on the outside, and sweat/condensation starts to get you wet.
This happens faster when the jacket gets dirty, and/or the water repellent gets worn.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve recently repurposed a collection of chamois leathers into a fetching tan aero suit. The local window cleaner retired and threw them in with the wooden ladders I bought from her. Perhaps for summer I’ll replace the sisal thread with a lighter jute or linen, but I’m quite satsfied. And the bike looks lovely if I’ve been for a more vigorous run in damp weather. Anyone wanting some jpegs just give me a rung

Last edited:

Leaway2

Lycrist
I’ve recently repurposed a collection of chamois leathers into a fetching tan aero suit. The local window cleaner retired and threw them in with the wooden ladders I bought from her. Perhaps for summer I’ll replace the sisal thread with a lighter jute or linen, but I’m quite satsfied. And the bike looks lovely if I’ve been for a more vigorous run in damp weather. Anyone wanting some jpegs just give me a rung
I'm not going to rung you, you sound like a rough bum.

Top Bottom