What tours are you planning for next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A seed of an idea has been planted in my mind for a shortish 3 country tour from the Hook of Holland, thorugh NL and Germany up to Esbjerg in Denmark, then back to Harwich on the ferry. It all hinges on the Harwich- Esbjerg ferry route being re-instated next year, which is a possibility but not certain as far as I know, so fingers crossed.

Saskia

A seed of an idea has been planted in my mind for a shortish 3 country tour from the Hook of Holland, thorugh NL and Germany up to Esbjerg in Denmark, then back to Harwich on the ferry. It all hinges on the Harwich- Esbjerg ferry route being re-instated next year, which is a possibility but not certain as far as I know, so fingers crossed.

If you're willing to change trains 5 or 6 times you could take the train from Esbjerg back to Hoek van Holland in under 12 hours: Depart Esbjerg before 7 am, arrive in Hoek van Holland at 6 pm with plenty of time to reach the evening ferry.
Deutsche Bahn offers advance tickets for greatly reduced prices. If you break your journey into two parts and buy two tickets, you may be able to spend as little as 58 Euros + 10 or 20 for the bicycle ticket. Esbjerg to Osnabrück costs 39 Euros three months in advance, Osnabrück to Hoek van Holland just 19. (If you split the journey in Hamburg, the costs are 29 and 39. Regular price is around 160 Euros if you divide the trip in Osnabrück) Tickets for bicycles are 10 Euros for within Germany across a border. I don't know if they'll sell you just one ticket that allows you to cross two borders - you may have to buy two.
Reduced price tickets are available 3 months in advance up to 4 days before departure, but at times when everybody travels they sell out quickly. The tricky part is that you also need to make a reservation on each IC train for your bike and as far as I know you can't do that online.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
If you're willing to change trains 5 or 6 times you could take the train from Esbjerg back to Hoek van Holland in under 12 hours: Depart Esbjerg before 7 am, arrive in Hoek van Holland at 6 pm with plenty of time to reach the evening ferry.
Deutsche Bahn offers advance tickets for greatly reduced prices. If you break your journey into two parts and buy two tickets, you may be able to spend as little as 58 Euros + 10 or 20 for the bicycle ticket. Esbjerg to Osnabrück costs 39 Euros three months in advance, Osnabrück to Hoek van Holland just 19. (If you split the journey in Hamburg, the costs are 29 and 39. Regular price is around 160 Euros if you divide the trip in Osnabrück) Tickets for bicycles are 10 Euros for within Germany across a border. I don't know if they'll sell you just one ticket that allows you to cross two borders - you may have to buy two.
Reduced price tickets are available 3 months in advance up to 4 days before departure, but at times when everybody travels they sell out quickly. The tricky part is that you also need to make a reservation on each IC train for your bike and as far as I know you can't do that online.

That's good to know- many thanks. Certainly good to have another option if the ferry isn't running.

Brahan

Über Member
Not much of a tour, but I've been thinking more and more about riding from East Grinstead to Skye around about July next year. I'll need to get match fit though because I've been off the bike for a while, but I'm thinking about doing it on a steel framed TT bike which will allow me to attach a seat post pannier (if that's what they're called) to keep my stuff on. I have all these ridiculous ideas floating around my head at the moment regarding miles per day, where/how I'll sleep, what roads I'll take and to be honest the urge is becoming relentless. I want to go now....help! :smile:

Pumpman

Our big event for the 2015 is a 4-day bike trip along the Otago trail, a disused railway between old mining towns in New Zealand. It is part of a longer trip, but it will be the highlight, as it is a reunion with friends from the US, Australia and NZ. The ride doesn’t look too tough, as long as we can shake off the jet-lag.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Time slots:
Up to ten days at Easter
Up to a week in June
Three weeks in July/August

Possible tours.
A three week LEJOG
A three week JOGLE
Mizzen Head to Malin Head
A relaxed Channel to the Med
Some of the Rhine Radweg
The northern section of the Elbe Radweg
Some of the North Sea Cycle route from Aberdeen southwards
Reivers Route
Trans Pennine Trail
Some of the North Sea Cycle Route from Harwich northwards

No planning needed apart from booking transport to the start and back from the end of each route. I have maps for all of the listed routes and a packing list that has served me well for the past eight years.

Onyer

Thinking about St Malo to Nice about late August time. Anyone else doing this route in 2015?

cnb

Veteran
Back to the Netherlands in June...Poss a tour round the Hebrides in early May..Before the midges alarm clock goes off...

Top Bottom