What tours are you planning for next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onyer

I did it this year, let me know if you want any info.
Did you do it on your own or with a group?

Cypher

Im planning to take the train up to Edinburgh and then take 3 days to do Berwick upon Tweed, Bamburgh, Holy Isle, Sunderland & home.
Also thinking at taking the car to Irvine and catching the ferry to Isle of Arran for the weekend.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
I'm of to do my own version of the Raid Pyrenees first week in September . Bike express booked , some b&bs booked and still planning . Tried to do this 2 summers ago but the terrible floods at the time put paid to this so unfinished business .

Cypher

Thank you mcshroom ive just looked at the coast and castle route. I may go direct from Edinburgh/ Gifford A6355 Chirnside / Berwick then the rest of the route looks great. Map bought from ebay this morning i cant wait.
How well are the sustrans routes marked/signposted ?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The route is pretty well signposted, but in some places it is a very poor surface. I went up the other way in March last year and there's a few pictures over on YACF here: - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81089.0

The poor surfaces are between Berwick and the Lindisfarne Causeway (if you can get the tides to fit then that would be well worth the detour), and a bit just north of Alnmouth (which may be avoidable if you don't fancy pushing). The second was the only bit I found unrideable as even with 35mm tyres the sand was too soft. You get some absolutely cracking views though :smile:

theloafer

Legendary Member
third jogle or third girlfriend? :smile:

post has been edited...now a solo JOGLE.... other 2 were LEJOG :thumbsup:

man in black

I am doing a London to Paris 28th May with my nephew. Sunday to Thursday The Newhaven route. First time cycling in France. Also after London to Brighton last year I have entered again, as I enjoyed it so much.
Looking forward to really upping my game this year, so far gone from 17 stone to 15.1 and still aiming for a couple more stone off.

Just booked a flight to Lyon for July 30th and ferry from Santander to Portsmouth for August 24th. Will probably follow the Rhone valley south for a couple of days then head west through the Ardeche and on, over the Pyrenees (not sure where yet) then to the Atlantic coast via Pamplona'ish and on to Santander.
Needed to book now while the flights are relatively cheap (£85 each on BA) and before the ferry gets booked up.

Cypher

My coast & castles map arrived today so ive been studying. Also im thinking of doing my weekend to Isle of Arran first, possibly in May to try and reduce the midgies. I rang the ferry company today & its only £7 for a return ticket thats foot passage with your bike. Also the carpark is only £3 for 24hr then £2 every other 24hr. Looking at the map I may do Arran then cross from Lochranza to Claonaig, pop down to Campbeltown circle back north & take the 2 ferries back to Ardrossan 2/3or4 days.

theloafer

Legendary Member
My coast & castles map arrived today so ive been studying

as @mcshroom says the rough bits are just after Berwick a few pics of our trip up there the guys with 23-25 tyres had the most problem from the p**cture fairy ...I had 32 on my tourer ^_^ http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161520697
berwick 041.jpg
berwick 044.jpg
berwick 045.jpg
berwick 047.jpg
berwick 049.jpg
berwick 058.jpg
berwick 077.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Several short micro tours among the historic and charming locations of Central Illinois. I may be doing some planning and location scouting, off to the west. Now that I have an appropriate and reliable touring bicycle, more miles may be on the program. Also, a tour of the named and significant houses, manses, and chateaux of the area may be in the works. Some trailer building as well, based around a Kelty backpack frame.
Ooo pics of the Antebellums when you do it. I love those houses .

Top Bottom