What tours are you planning for next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tournut

On Tuesday I'm starting my 1st ever tour; and it starts with a train to Exeter :smile:. I'm doing the south coast to Penzance then up to the north coast and along to Bristol where I'll spend a couple of days or so visiting family & friends. Then it's into Chepstow & following a cycle route to Holyhead. From there I'll be getting the ferry to Ireland and bimble around there for a while before getting a ferry back to the mainland. I'll then do a bit of southern Scotland before cycling back south to home.

At least, that's the plan at the moment; it's very much subject to whim & the weather. I'm planning to do a bit of temp work here & there to help keep the bank balance in the black though I have got enough money to keep me going for most, if not all, of the trip.
Good luck. But do you know there is snow on the way again.

It usually has to be quite warm for snow... Better than the freezing temps were had when we did almost the same route, setting out at the same time of year, 4 years ago! Wow, how time flies.

He'll be fine, if he has the right kit (and in assumming anyone considering cycling or camping (?) in the UK or Ireland at this time of year has experience of winter camping and has the correct kit both cycling and camping (though I appreciate camping is an assumption here)) and can just hole up somewhere for a few days. Snow never lasts long in the UK normally. Is a cold spell after it that would be the biggest concern, but riding on ice is not impossible and you soon learn how to do it on a touring bike and stay on the bike!

This was quite frequent for us,

IMG_1028.jpg

and we ended up missing out Killarney because they had snow and the passes were a mess for a few days which just happened to coincide with the time we would have been there.

Nope, didn't know there was snow on the way; I tend not to read the front page weather warnings on the Daily Express :smile:

He'll be fine, if he has the right kit (and in assumming anyone considering cycling or camping (?) in the UK or Ireland at this time of year has experience of winter camping and has the correct kit both cycling and camping (though I appreciate camping is an assumption here)) and can just hole up somewhere for a few days. Snow never lasts long in the UK normally. Is a cold spell after it that would be the biggest concern, but riding on ice is not impossible and you soon learn how to do it on a touring bike and stay on the bike!

Weather permitting I'll be camping; If it's too cold/wet I'll be booking into a hostel/ cheap hotel. I've got a reasonably decent tent & a sleeping bag that say's it's good for temperatures down to -17 degrees; not that I plan to be putting that claim to the test lol.

If it is rated down to -17C and only a harsh frost is forecast you find camping with a frost great fun. Once below -10C you don't really notice it being much colder, so -18C which is the coldest I have camped in, is not that much difference than -10C ime. But with a -17C rated bag I wouldn't go much below -10C tbh for comfort purposes and that is assuming that the -17C rating is a comfort rating not an extreme survival rating (bags often mention 2 ratings).

Anyhow, enjoy yourself. We found both Wales Ireland wonderful. The link in my signature to the world tour includes Ireland... We camped in farmer's field a lot there with their permission and they were all exceptionally helpful, kind and generous.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Nope, didn't know there was snow on the way; I tend not to read the front page weather warnings on the Daily Express :smile:
Haha - you don't mean to say that the Daily Express might be a bit sensationalist in reporting the fraudcasts of Exacta Weather? In fact there was a bit of sleet yesterday on Dartmoor, but it's all gone now, and the forecast is looking quite benign for the next few days. In any case, sticking to the South West Coast you'll probably be a degree or three higher than inland, though possibly more likely to catch wind and rain - the wind's looking quite lively for tomorrow, so I hope you've got extra tent pegs.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
I did oban to Skye via mull and Mallaig as part of Dover to Cape Wrath. Stunning cycling and during the heatwave of 2013.

Haha - you don't mean to say that the Daily Express might be a bit sensationalist in reporting the fraudcasts of Exacta Weather? In fact there was a bit of sleet yesterday on Dartmoor, but it's all gone now, and the forecast is looking quite benign for the next few days. In any case, sticking to the South West Coast you'll probably be a degree or three higher than inland, though possibly more likely to catch wind and rain - the wind's looking quite lively for tomorrow, so I hope you've got extra tent pegs.

Me? Suggest the Daily Express of being a bit sensationalist? Never lol

I cycled across Dartmoor yesterday & there was a bit of sleet/hail along the verges. The weather has been kind to me so far; apart from a couple of very short light showers it been pretty decent.

I've had to revise my daily mileage downwards; made the mistake of over-estimating how many miles I can do with a loaded bike. Apart from that all is good and enjoyable :smile:

Got a couple of tours lined up this year:

- Going to partake in @Fubar 's Lochs and Glens North tour (linky) but add a bit of extra loopage up to the north coast.
- I just signed up for a Raid Pyrenean in June - from the Atlantic to the Med in 100 hours.

If I survive those I might try something else but I'm not sure yet!

Plan this year is to do some island hopping over a week using the CalMac Hopscotch ticket.

Starting in Oban > Barra > Eriskay > Uist's > Harris > Skye > Oban.
That is a fantastic trip, I did it a few years ago and it was absolutely magnificent. (Except instead of coming back via Skye I came back via Ullapool on one of the wettest days ever.)

Inspired by watching the race to the sun, we've decided not to fly to Lyon and have cancelled the flight and booked the Portsmouth - Le Havre ferry for July 24th instead. Will then ride down to Narbonne, hang a right along the Pyrenees (taking in the Tourmalet), cross into Spain somewhere near Pamplona before following the coast to Santander for the ferry home on August 24th.

samid

Guru
Been a while since I posted here, for various reasons... but today I bought my plane tickets, and am coming to Scotland in June, for 3 weeks, woohoo! The current plan is to spend two weeks on the bike and one walking, not yet decided on the exact route(s).

Polite

Über Member
Just booked a flight to Lyon for July 30th and ferry from Santander to Portsmouth for August 24th. Will probably follow the Rhone valley south for a couple of days then head west through the Ardeche and on, over the Pyrenees (not sure where yet) then to the Atlantic coast via Pamplona'ish and on to Santander.
Needed to book now while the flights are relatively cheap (£85 each on BA) and before the ferry gets booked up.
Hi, I see you're planning for approx 3 weeks, what sort of distance is that?

Polite

Über Member
Thinking about St Malo to Nice about late August time. Anyone else doing this route in 2015?
Yep, I did it last year following the book (I assume you've seen this?) with a few bits I'd done before missed out plus a cycle up Mont Ventoux. Ask if you want any more info.

Top Bottom